I know I am tired when....

Talk about game designs and what goes behind designing games.
Sim

I know I am tired when....

Post by Sim »

I get distracted from coding and I just randomly search the internet and I always find stupid stuff!!
oRPG Creator - Make Your Own Browser Game
oRPG Creator on Facebook
LNitewing

Re: I know I am tired when....

Post by LNitewing »

That sounds like me! :P I'm quite easily distracted it appears lol.
Sanity is vastly overrated!
Twitter: @LNitewing (Personal Account), @NitewingGaming (for general development progress and stuff), @NiziniaGame (for specific updates on FKoN).
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

I know it's a light hearted subject, But...

I would suggest planning what you're going to code and then make an estimate of how long that will take.

Than start your stop watch.

You will focus - or you will realise why maybe you leave projects half finished - it's because things take many multipliers more of time than initially estimated and your brain suddenly realises the project will take thousands of hours instead of hundreds. And it quits.
LNitewing

Post by LNitewing »

It seems that it takes me many many hours to do something that is actually pretty simple. I'm fine with that as it still gets done and I learn something in the process.

You have a good idea there however Callan. :) That's generally why I have more vaporware/unfinished projects. I start something and then realize it would take too long and go on to something else. Lately, I've stopped myself from doing that as I want to pursue this career now instead of as a hobby. :P

However, even when I'm focused and hit an obstacle I ultimately get distracted. I go off to ponder how it could be done or search the internet for solutions and/or inspiration and later find myself searching for completely irrelevant things. :|

My advice and what works for me, is when you get to the point where your brain can't focus or doesn't want to do it anymore then take a small break and come back to it later. 8-) In the case that you realise that you've started something too big, break it down into smaller pieces or get some help.
Twitter: @LNitewing (Personal Account), @NitewingGaming (for general development progress and stuff), @NiziniaGame (for specific updates on FKoN).
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

This happens to me all the time, tired or not. There is just too much cool $#@& on the Internet lol.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Sim

Post by Sim »

Jackolantern wrote:This happens to me all the time, tired or not. There is just too much cool $#@& on the Internet lol.

Usually I am pretty productive. Today was the worst day ever. I havn't had a good night sleep in like a week and im just like staring at stuff like a zombie.
oRPG Creator - Make Your Own Browser Game
oRPG Creator on Facebook
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Oddly enough, I will often be more productive when I was tired :P
The indelible lord of tl;dr
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

I know I need to sleep when i suddenly forget how to code. It was about midnight, and I decided to build a simple website, and I stayed almost 1 hour trying to include the jquery.js into the HTML... (With the script tags)
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

LNitewing

Post by LNitewing »

vitinho444 wrote:I know I need to sleep when i suddenly forget how to code. It was about midnight, and I decided to build a simple website, and I stayed almost 1 hour trying to include the jquery.js into the HTML... (With the script tags)
Yup, that would be the time to get some sleep. I'm the same way in that regard.
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

I work best early morning, almost right after waking up, for about 2-3 hours. Then I have another moment a few hours before bed where I am working at full capacity. Not sure why that is. Middle of the day is the worst time to work for me, which is when I'm at work, lol.
w00t

Return to “Game Design”