Very strange game idea

Talk about game designs and what goes behind designing games.
Jackolantern

Very strange game idea

Post by Jackolantern »

I had a very odd idea for a game:

You play as some guy. Who or what he is isn't important. His apartment is what is important. It's empty. One day when he comes home, he notices a small rift to another dimension on his wall, and a part of a fold-out chair is sticking out of it. By just walking up to it and kind of hitting your head against it, it comes out of the hole. Another corner of a different kind of chair pops into the hole to fill that spot. The character realizes this is just great because his apartment is empty and he has a whole bunch of guests coming over to watch a basketball game. So he sets himself to get as many chairs out of this hole as possible to fill up his apartment and to give people a place to sit down.

Each chair is a different size, shape and weight. The hole also shifts around, and you have to use the chairs the already have to stack them up to get to the hole, and also special attributes about each chair to help knock the next chair loose. For example, at one point you may have to make a stack of chairs, push two recliners next to each other and use the leg rest on one to knock the other onto the stack of chairs so you can use the other's leg rest to knock the next chair out, because a recliner is too heavy to pick up and take directly to the top of the stack.

Maybe "The Chair Hole" would be an appropriate name. Appropriate yes, but maybe not the most marketable. :|
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: Very strange game idea

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

sounds like some really good weed was smoked on this idea ;)
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:sounds like some really good weed was smoked on this idea ;)
Actually, I was just freezing my ass off on my way to class when it popped in my head lol. No weed smoking here anymore haha :lol:
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

Chairs are great, but the real plothole is -- How's he going to watch the big game if there's no TV??????
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Xaos wrote:Chairs are great, but the real plothole is -- How's he going to watch the big game if there's no TV??????
I thought about that. After you get all the chairs, the last stage is going to the store to buy a TV. So nope, it doesn't come out of the hole :|
MikuzA

Post by MikuzA »

Haha, that's a very interesting idea :D
When the chairs are different sizes/shapes, did you plan in doing some kind of puzzle-like approach, that the 'friends' that are coming over are different shapes and sizes, then accomplishment would be rated by the comfortability of the friends when they leave.

For start, you have a small budget, and with that budget you must buy snacks/drinks etc. but also the device is needed.

So,
"You invited 4 friends over for the football game tonight, your apartment contains nothing. Your budget is 300$"
You visit the electronic store and purchase a radio for 100$, or you purchase a used unreliable black/white tv with 200$. (Yeah, Ignore the actual pricing for now, just demonstrating :D)

The used device would have a percentual chance to break down during the evening, which would then cause high uncomfyness for your friends, and could cause you to fail. And perhaps loose these friends to not join in the next game-night you are hosting.

Of course the budget left is used for snacks etc.

And then back to the original idea, you need to pull the chairs through that hole and place them accordingly so that no ones view gets blocked (View gets blocked if radio?)

Ah, ok I got carried away. Perhaps jumped into a whole other game idea but just to buff up the gameplay :D

Keep these ideas coming, my mind feasts on your awesome ideas and pushes out some random thoughts as always.
Why so serious?

Business Intelligence, Data Engineering, Data Mining
PHP, HTML, JavaScript, Bash/KornShell, Python, C#, PL/SQL
MySQL, DB2, Oracle, Snowflake
Pentaho, DataStage, Matillion, Unity3D, Blender
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Jacko, as english is not my main language, there are some details i didn't understand. Ok so you have (basically) 4 walls, one of them has a dimension hole (PACIFIC RIM :twisted: then a Kaijoo comes out!! jk) with 50% of a chair out of it. You pull it and another one comes and then the hole moves to another wall, is that right?

Seems like a good puzzle game... It doesn't sound worst than Stanley's Parable aka Walking Simulator :D
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

vitinho444 wrote:Jacko, as english is not my main language, there are some details i didn't understand. Ok so you have (basically) 4 walls, one of them has a dimension hole (PACIFIC RIM :twisted: then a Kaijoo comes out!! jk) with 50% of a chair out of it. You pull it and another one comes and then the hole moves to another wall, is that right?

Seems like a good puzzle game... It doesn't sound worst than Stanley's Parable aka Walking Simulator :D
I was kind of seeing it as a 2D game, with the camera pointing at one wall, but it could definitely be 3D too (my brain doesn't think about 3D game design much, since it isn't something I do).

Mikuza:

Nice ideas! I actually think you have thought this one through longer than I have :cool:
MikuzA

Post by MikuzA »

Haha, I read my own post and realised that I was totally off on the original idea :oops:
Oh well :D
Why so serious?

Business Intelligence, Data Engineering, Data Mining
PHP, HTML, JavaScript, Bash/KornShell, Python, C#, PL/SQL
MySQL, DB2, Oracle, Snowflake
Pentaho, DataStage, Matillion, Unity3D, Blender
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

MikuzA wrote:Haha, I read my own post and realised that I was totally off on the original idea :oops:
Oh well :D
Thats how other ideas are born :)
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Return to “Game Design”