Football Game - Quarterback Time to throw

Talk about game designs and what goes behind designing games.
Xaos

Football Game - Quarterback Time to throw

Post by Xaos »

So, I'm actually starting on my football game :D I was wondering, how should I determine the quarterback's time? I know i'll be able to work on the line interactions, and the wr/cb getting open, but how do i synchronize them so that the QB has "time" in the pocket to throw it, scramble or get sacked? IE Okay the Nose Tackle breaks the center's block, but did that happen with 2 seconds? 3 seconds? 1 second? Did the QB already throw it? Etc. Any help would be appreciated :D
Jackolantern

Re: Football Game - Quarterback Time to throw

Post by Jackolantern »

Unless you are wanting to go all real-time (which can be complex, and really requires node), you would probably want to break up quarterback interaction as multiple turns. When the ball is hiked, the QB would instantly be able to tell if their offensive line in breaking down or not. Even if they are, they could take the gamble of staying in the pocket to make a throw, in which case their accuracy will be much better, with a much lower chance of throwing an interception. But if they get spooked, they could choose to scramble, at which point they would be looking to connect with receivers on the edge, but their strength would be reduced and more chances of an errant throw.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

Jackolantern wrote:Unless you are wanting to go all real-time (which can be complex, and really requires node), you would probably want to break up quarterback interaction as multiple turns. When the ball is hiked, the QB would instantly be able to tell if their offensive line in breaking down or not. Even if they are, they could take the gamble of staying in the pocket to make a throw, in which case their accuracy will be much better, with a much lower chance of throwing an interception. But if they get spooked, they could choose to scramble, at which point they would be looking to connect with receivers on the edge, but their strength would be reduced and more chances of an errant throw.

So it'd be kinda like:

Ball Hiked
Line check
QB read WRs
Line check
QB read WRs

etc.?
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I would think more like:

Ball hike and at same time, get early read on protection
Choose whether to read WRs for pass or scramble
If reading WRs, get info on them, and read on protection OR scramble and get read on WRs on edge
Pass, throw it away, or wait on WRs (and also get sacked if O-line falls apart)
BobMann

Post by BobMann »

I will be honest I don't like sports games (or sports in general) but I never understood the point of sports games.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

If you don't like the sport, you wouldn't like the sports games, either. It is like someone who hates cars and driving not wanting to play a racing game :lol:
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

BobMann wrote:I will be honest I don't like sports games (or sports in general) but I never understood the point of sports games.

It's gonna be a sports sim, running the team, getting talent, etc. Some people like it for sports, some people like it just for the simulation (not even sports fans) and others like it for a combo of both. It's kind of like playing Civilization me having no interest in politics :D
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Even when I hated football I loved playing Madden through a season. It is fun to build and run the team.

Return to “Game Design”