Risk RTS

Talk about game designs and what goes behind designing games.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Risk RTS

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Some recent events have really left a bad taste in my mouth for some communities and some members so I am taking a step back from video game development for a moment and work on some other things I have been thinking about.

One of them is turning the ever famous Risk Board game into a RTS. One where players need resources to build the armies and can actually build factories and mines on their lands. I also would add in solitare rules and NPC opponents. This would still be a board game and not a PC game.

I have seen a few variations of this but none too good. Any comments/ideas?
Jackolantern

Re: Risk RTS

Post by Jackolantern »

I guess I am a bit confused on what you mean by RTS for a board game. I am honestly not that familiar with Risk, but I think I know the general idea.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Well I guess calling it a RTS was just my way of identifying the game type I am thinking of. Many of the game play and rules will be much similar.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Really, in a way you could have a board game work somewhat like an RTS game. What if, instead of taking turns as normal, players were given small board game sand timers that they had to turn over after they complete their turn. Once they do this, they cannot complete their next turn until the sand runs all the way through the timer. This way, players do not necessarily have to wait on the other player before they move again, but they are prevented from just taking their turns as fast as possible. If they want to think about their next move, they can take more time, but their opponent can just keep taking turns every time their timer empties.

EDIT: Also, check out the rest of that site if you are wanting to make a board game from scratch. I have made a couple of board game prototypes in the past, and these guys are great for pieces. They can also do board and package designs, full prototypes and even do full manufacturing.
towcar

Post by towcar »

So basically its like risk, but with more features??
If so then I would be totally on for playing that.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

oh i love board games, made a few myself. Also some mods, like better monopoly rules where each person actually has a business, real estate broker, banker can make loans, gas station(cant travel the board with no gas!!) ect... Also added alot of things to Talisman the Board game.

My main thing I wanted to make extra for Risk is solitare rules and NPC opponents for say only 2 players. Like the AI actually attacks you and attempts to foil your plans.

Yes these would only be additional rules to the already existing ones.

Nice site Jack, thanks for the link.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

No problem! What is nice about that site is that you can buy 1 or you can buy 10,000 of a piece from them. Most sites will either only sell singles for high prices, or only sell massive bulk, and there are not many to choose from to begin with.
Alexx

Post by Alexx »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:Some recent events have really left a bad taste in my mouth for some communities and some members so I am taking a step back from video game development for a moment and work on some other things I have been thinking about.

One of them is turning the ever famous Risk Board game into a RTS. One where players need resources to build the armies and can actually build factories and mines on their lands. I also would add in solitare rules and NPC opponents. This would still be a board game and not a PC game.

I have seen a few variations of this but none too good. Any comments/ideas?
I always wanted to start a project like this (I'm a sucker for playing Risk in general lol)...I think it would work out nicely if executed right :)
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

actually started back on this last night. Will post some of what I got when I have enough
Falken

Post by Falken »

I just got home from playing some board games too. We tried out Puerto Rico (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Ric ... rd_game%29) today and then a game of Carcassone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcassonn ... rd_game%29) :D
--- Game Database ---
For all your game information needs!
Visit us at: http://www.gamedatabase.eu today!

Return to “Game Design”