FF7 Style game through browser

Talk about game designs and what goes behind designing games.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

FF7 Style game through browser

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Me and Raven got to talking about how much fun and how impacting FF7 was when it came out. Still fun...

Anyways I got to thinking about FF8, FF9, Oraca, Chrono Trigger, and the other games that we all played for hours on end. While I would love to create a RPG in the same matter I dont know that I could get strong player base to download the massive file for a single player game and It would be alot of work on my end to build and engine ect...

I was then then thinking about a game like that that would be through the browser. A very long game, filled with combat, skills, tons of weapons choices that would be played through the browser but single player and the game could always be updated very easily. New additions wouldnt have to be downloaded. Pages would be made where players could see who is highest level, richest, ect and maybe even trade items or train each other abilities.

Hmm just a thought, might gain a good RPG following. Just wanted some comments on potential issues/bonuses form a game like this.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: FF7 Style game through browser

with this kinda combat

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Considering that FFVII's 3D graphics look quite dated and boxy now, it probably would not be an issue to get 3D of that quality running in a browser.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Raven67854

Post by Raven67854 »

It wouldn't be hard to get Crysis quality in a browser. It's not so much as getting it INTO the browser. It's just why in the hell would you wanna put Crysis in your web browser :). So you could do much higher quality now days. You could actually do really high quality since FF7 was just pre-rendered scenes with a character running around. But what would you use halls? I mean you can't use php.. I would actually recommend java for something like this.
C/C++/C#/Blitzmax/Visual Basic Programmer
Blender/XSI user
"It's not what you use. It's how you use it what you have" -Unknown author
"Sleeping the number one cause of death" -Raven67854
""No matter how much shit life throws at me. I will keep on going just to piss life off." -Raven67854

PC Specs:
AMD Athlon 64x2 5000+ 2.6ghz Black Edition
8 gigs Corsair ram 1066mhz
9800GTX+
2x750gb HD
Vista Home Premium X64
Ubuntu 9.04 X64
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I thought that the issue with having high-quality 3D graphics in a web browser was not being able to pre-install the data files. How could you run a multi-gig game like Crisis in a web browser without requiring a download?
Raven67854

Post by Raven67854 »

Uhhh what? You still have to download the data for the games. Like take runescape for instance. You still download the game of runescape then just play it in the web browser. Course its a very small compressed download. Running Crysis in the web browser would be very possible although you would have a few issues here and there :). Mostly being can your client wait long enough to actually get to play the game. Oh and instant action games also download to your PC. All media assets are stored on your PC. Believe fallen legions takes about 110mb of disc space. The data from instant action is stored at C:\Users\Raven67854\AppData\LocalLow\GarageGames\IAPlayer\products\www_instantaction_com\<games are here>. My folder is about 440mb. With some games not even available on instant action anymore. Like blur and that one game where you just fell forever collecting little green things. So you still have to download the games then you just play through your browser.
C/C++/C#/Blitzmax/Visual Basic Programmer
Blender/XSI user
"It's not what you use. It's how you use it what you have" -Unknown author
"Sleeping the number one cause of death" -Raven67854
""No matter how much shit life throws at me. I will keep on going just to piss life off." -Raven67854

PC Specs:
AMD Athlon 64x2 5000+ 2.6ghz Black Edition
8 gigs Corsair ram 1066mhz
9800GTX+
2x750gb HD
Vista Home Premium X64
Ubuntu 9.04 X64
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I mean, I know it would be possible, but people aren't going to wait a couple hours before they log in and play :lol: I know that Runescape, etc. are all downloaded as you start playing, but they are so heavily compressed and optimized that it only takes a minute at the most. That is what players are used to, so that is pretty much where the bar has been placed for browser-based games. Therefore, I think it could be possible to have a FFVII-style game run in a browser with a relatively standard loadtime.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

the whole point of using a FF7 style game is the fact I could load it into a browser simply with NO download. Otherwise I would just make it with GameMaker and run it through the browser.

I could use JavaScript/PHP/Ajax to make a no download game work. The real design comes in with the game. Making a 20+ hour single player game.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Well, everything has a download, Halls, including pure HTML pages. We are saying the same thing. A FFVII-style game would be able to start with minimal waiting and download further data while playing. No "Select download, choose save, save to desktop, extract..." etc.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

i realize that everything has a "download" but its not considered a download when its not seen or noticed. Its like browsing the internet, you have no idea that anything like that is happening.

Return to “Game Design”