How do you like your games?

Talk about game designs and what goes behind designing games.
Noctrine

How do you like your games?

Post by Noctrine »

Purely from a design aesthetic standpoint (which of course means it could really have something to do with any area). But more specifically I mean like:

What drives the game, what purpose of does the game serve. There is always a lot of talk in the industry about how artistic games are, and discussions about games being art or toys and what not. So yeah, in the games you make and the games you like what is the I guess drive behind them?

As for me:
While I certainly do enjoy those games that are 'artistic', but no matter how artistic and creative they are the game means little to me if it isn't really fun. I think one of the things that makes games an art form in its own is the unique way that they are capable of entertaining people. Especially in these days where most games (that at least put in the effort) are visually appealing.

There is probably a bit more, but I have to think of the right way to structure it so it makes sense. Anyway, what do you all think?
Jesse Dorsey
ProjectANI - Lead Developer Person
http://about.me/jessedorsey
towcar

Re: How do you like your games?

Post by towcar »

Well you make a great point, but what would you call a fun game that is exciting but non-artistic?
Half-Life two for me seemed Artistic and Amazing in one.
Also the word Artistic is very person oriented. So everyones view on whats artistic is different from person to person, like Manga to me is no Artistic, just annoying :P
Noctrine

Post by Noctrine »

I love manga, the story telling (while alot of it is pretty much samey) is very different from how we tell stories here. I think its important to see the different cultural values, and experiences when reading comics from other countries. That and although I love Marvel and DC to death, and know alot of the people all the way through, there are only so many superheroes and alternate realities I can take :p

Also alot of the artists are actually professionally trained artists but you have to pay mind to the business of it to, but they have to draw what sales.

But when I say artistic, I mean like how people usually apply it. Visually stunning, well written, especially in reference to games that (thankfully) go against the norm and try and create something at least moderately newish ala Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.
Jesse Dorsey
ProjectANI - Lead Developer Person
http://about.me/jessedorsey
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Games should server the purpose of entertainment and somewhat an escape from reality. It falls back to Role-playing back in the day before video games or even the early baseball statistic games. You are doing something far from your own abilites to challenge yourself in ways you cannot do physically.
kyraneth

Post by kyraneth »

Personally, only the artistic side attracts me. For me, the two most important things the game should provide me is role play and immersion. And the artistic part is mainly responsible for all that. By artistic i mean story line, soundtrack, art feel (not necessarily realism, just the feel ).
Just FYI, the post is above, so stop looking down here and do something useful.

king noob. Nice.

Return to “Game Design”