Thoughts on updating the Browser Tutorials

Discussion and location of the Browser Based MMO Tutorial and the RTS tutorial.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Thoughts on updating the Browser Tutorials

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

So it has been in the back of my mind for a long time now to redo the original videos. This site spawned from them and we still get views and subscribers from them. I think it is time I redid them but updated them.

I am thinking however to use Javascript and ajax on the front end with MySQL and PHP on the back. Bootstrap for the design. Any thoughts on what the new series should have? The game? The style? Technologies? Ect.. Any examples of what everyone is playing now?

Comments and suggestions needed.
Jackolantern

Re: Thoughts on updating the Browser Tutorials

Post by Jackolantern »

It seems strategy-type games far outnumber traditional RPGs, and most people seem to be more into them than character-focused games.

I guess no hope of getting you to adopt an MVC framework? :|
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Verahta

Post by Verahta »

Absolutely, I think tuts would be great.

A front end of JS/Jquery/AJAX and backend of PHP/MySQL sounds fine.

However, if you are feeling ambitious, I recommend:

Of course the standard HTML5/CSS3 and then JS/Jquery/AJAX/Sockets.IO/Node.JS/MongoDB and maybe like Jack said, something like ExpressJS in the middle.

All your previous tutorials are on land in medieval times, I vote for a futuristic one in space :D
"In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion".
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Hmmm. I can definitely do the Nodejs however I doubt I will use express. MVC is one of those things that I just do not feel like will capture beginners into development. i could be wrong about that though. Also I am not the best person to be teaching MVC. I loathe it in so many ways ;)

Mongo might be a good one too but then are we wandering too far off the original path?
Chris

Post by Chris »

I think if you were able to explain MVC in a moderatly easy way. Put this code here, this code here and this code here. It would be quite easy for a beginner to grasp.
Fighting for peace is declaring war on war. If you want peace be peaceful.
Verahta

Post by Verahta »

Ultimately I don't think using a MVC is the most important part, so it was just a suggestion. But yeah whatever you decide will be fun. Just plan it out first, that way you know where you are starting and where you want to end it. I think more important than whether to use a MVC or not is to have a beginning, middle, and end to the tutorial series so it's complete and leaves the viewers in a good position to move forward themselves with the project.
"In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion".
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Verahta wrote:Ultimately I don't think using a MVC is the most important part, so it was just a suggestion. But yeah whatever you decide will be fun. Just plan it out first, that way you know where you are starting and where you want to end it. I think more important than whether to use a MVC or not is to have a beginning, middle, and end to the tutorial series so it's complete and leaves the viewers in a good position to move forward themselves with the project.
Good suggestion. I think the start should introduce a game design document, and stick to it. While the original MMORPG Tutorial was great, the fact that features kept being added on through user requests essentially made it never ending, so no matter where you stopped, it looked like it died. Using a static GDD, everyone following along would know where the series is, and will know when it ends.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Ha very good points. Definitely something that needs to be in the first video as it will also give everyone the idea of what to expect.
Kesstryl

Post by Kesstryl »

So far I'm liking the simplicity of the new tutorials. I like that it shows how to use libraries like Bootstrap and Jquery, though I haven't touched javascript at all so this will be new territory for me. I'm also not as familiar with OOP PHP though I know this is the way things are supposed to be done now. I mean I've done some reading up on it, but I'm happy for the explanations in the videos which will give me a push to move forward into it. Also happy for for the SQL/PHP backend as this is familiar territory for me. Thank you for trying to keep it simple enough for non-professional hobbyist programmers to be able to be able to catch up.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Thanks for the thanks. I try to keep it as simple as possible. Not because those watching are not capable but because game design should be fun and not taxing.

Trust me I constantly get trashed from "professional" developers saying how simple and wrong the videos are but the thousands watching and thousands of thanks always lets me know I am doing the right thing. Every thanks is a push for me to do more so I do appreciate it.

Return to “Youtube Tutorials”