Construct 2 video tutorial at MS Virtual Academy

Post all your tuts or request for tuts here.
Jackolantern

Construct 2 video tutorial at MS Virtual Academy

Post by Jackolantern »

To those that aren't familiar with it, Microsoft Virtual Academy is a MS-owned video tutorial site that discusses MS development technology, MS server platforms, etc. But it also highlights other companies' products if they can export to MS platforms (such as Unity). I figured I would post this since I know a few people around here have interest in Construct 2 and there are not a ton of video tutorials out there for it.

It has kind of an interesting feel, as do all MVA tutorials, where it is almost set up more like a TV show than a YouTube video tutorial. It is pretty interesting. The tutorial focuses on making a game and porting it to MS platforms, but of course you could use the knowledge to port it to iOS, Android or any other platform supported by Construct 2.

Here is a link to the course, which is about 5 hours long, and here is a link to their other game development courses.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Miroidan

Re: Construct 2 video tutorial at MS Virtual Academy

Post by Miroidan »

Looks interesting, for how long can you use the Construct 2 trial?
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I'm not sure lol :P

I would assume either 30 or 90 days, but probably 30. I just bought it after reading the website, but sadly, I haven't really even used it lol.
MikuzA

Post by MikuzA »

Yesterday evening I was bored and got an e-mail from MVA that they will close my account if I don't login 'NOW'.
So I did, and then I stumbled into 'Game Development' and then I watched the first part of the Construct 2-course.

And I say, It's quite an interesting tool! And the lecturers are quite nice, I still laughed a bit at some point when they had this weird re-written conversation that they couldn't act through naturally :D

"Hey, do you know about..."

"Yes, that's a good thing to know, please can you explain"

"Yes, thanks. ...<insert explanation here>" And a awkward silence with a white-teeth smile to the camera.

"Thanks!"

But otherwise, the tool itself seems 'too easy', like I miss the coding part of it all but still I will dig through the course atleast :D
Why so serious?

Business Intelligence, Data Engineering, Data Mining
PHP, HTML, JavaScript, Bash/KornShell, Python, C#, PL/SQL
MySQL, DB2, Oracle, Snowflake
Pentaho, DataStage, Matillion, Unity3D, Blender
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

That is how I felt at first. But I guess that is a problem with most programmers. We don't want things to be "too easy". It was one of the things that caused early obstacles for high-level languages. Assembly programmers said it felt too easy, and stuck to assembly because they said they got more control. Which I guess is true, but eventually the complexity of programs got to the point where assembly wasn't an option anymore. It is already happening again in games somewhat. Making a AAA commercial game from scratch, even in high-level languages, really is far too complex today, which is why game engines, rendering engines, middleware, etc. are becoming so popular.

More of a musing here, I guess. I definitely can't call Construct 2 an evolution of game development. But if you want a fairly straight-forward animated game, it will work well and could save tons of time.
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Actually that's fun, as I just started a new project myself for a game maker, however the "IDE" is fully inside your browser. No download, no install, and you can develop from anywhere.

A first prototype:
http://temp.nowhere-else.org/project_x/

Click on the "Player" actor on the top left to see the "Code" on the bottom right of the screen. Yes you can already edit the code, but... you can't do much. And yes the collision is not currently good it's just a prototype!
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Very cool! There is a real market today for no-code game engines :)
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Very nice!

I also wanted to just add here that MVA is also planning a live event for learning GameMaker. I can only assume it is for GameMaker: Studio since GM is quite out-dated now and I am not even sure if YoYo Games still even provides a download for it (although it can still easily be found elsewhere).
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

Yeah, I'm leery about looking into construct, starting to get a feel for it - then finding that feel is going to be locked away in 90 days. Sticking around with Stencyl for the time being.

Return to “Tutorials”