Refreshed and ready , community project?

Looking for a team? Need some team members?
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Refreshed and ready , community project?

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

For the past year or two I hit a brick wall on game development and this vacation has really reset my clock.
I am thinking I want to start a community project. I will run it and organize the work.
Question is what can we use that everyone would want to get involved in? Is there an open source option? Build from scratch? What technology?
vitinho444

Re: Refreshed and ready , community project?

Post by vitinho444 »

Although I enjoy the idea, it feels impossible due to personal time and motivation constraints (on everybody).
What I mean is like, lets say we started an RPG community game. We set everything up, 10,20,30,50 members wanna participate, that's cool. But then, 30% don't really enjoy RPG's. 10% want the RPG to be medieval. 20% want it to be sci-fi. All those problems are the reason community projects are so hard to complete (or even begin). But there's other problem, time. It's hard to contribute to a community project where each member has it's own unique time constraints.

Just my thoughts but I wish all the luck to whoever joins and I'll be here in case something is needed and I can help with.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

vitinho444 wrote:Although I enjoy the idea, it feels impossible due to personal time and motivation constraints (on everybody).
What I mean is like, lets say we started an RPG community game. We set everything up, 10,20,30,50 members wanna participate, that's cool. But then, 30% don't really enjoy RPG's. 10% want the RPG to be medieval. 20% want it to be sci-fi. All those problems are the reason community projects are so hard to complete (or even begin). But there's other problem, time. It's hard to contribute to a community project where each member has it's own unique time constraints.

Just my thoughts but I wish all the luck to whoever joins and I'll be here in case something is needed and I can help with.
I think a lot of this comes from getting a group involved in the planning stages.

Probably the best thing would be for someone to start an open source project and just begin working on it. As people wanted to, they could become contributors, but with no real expectation that it will be a full-on, equal contributor team. Because we have seen before so often that it does not work well. For some of the reasons Vitinho mentions, plus some others.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Agreed Jack. I have come up with a good plan and will present tomorrow.
Ringmaster

Post by Ringmaster »

A new project that has contributors would be great.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

I would really like to do something a bit old school. Like a roguelike or a standard PBBG RPG.
Ringmaster

Post by Ringmaster »

Sounds great. Do you want to revamp some old dusty code, there are a lot of reasonable engines out there, or start afresh.
A top down rpg or isometric? Map travel and combat, inventory. That can be the start of it.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Yeah if we could find some open source game would be great. I will start going through Jacks list
http://indie-resource.com/forums/viewto ... 112&t=4898

and see what I can find.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Isometric really complicates asset creation IMHO. It cuts down the publicly-available assets you would probably want to lean on and slight changes of perspective make it hard to mesh existing assets with your game's own style.

Halls, while you are looking through the PBBG List, did you ever check out Pomelo? I always thought this was an amazing looking engine for a browser-based, real-time online game. The main downside is that the creators are (I believe) Chinese so a ton of the documentation was still in Chinese last I looked, as are a decent size of the community. But the demo blew me away for an open source engine and it looks like it could be worth the effort to figure out.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Yes and yes it looks amazing but you are right the documentation is extremely lacking.

I was more thinking of a Green Dragon type thing. Find an older engine and update it.

Return to “Recruitment”