Looking for Web & App Developer

Looking for a team? Need some team members?
Xaos

Re: Looking for Web & App Developer

Post by Xaos »

So basically, users download the app, who sends the info? Who is the one pushing the notifications?
Sim

Post by Sim »

I don't see why anyone would download that thing. =0

Install me to get "Notifications". I seen only 1000-5000 downloads from the Android APP store. It makes sense.

You need to make something better. Maybe a 1 time fee for them to get there own APP for there site/whatever and they can still send notifications. Charge for extra features such as displaying content or w/e.
oRPG Creator - Make Your Own Browser Game
oRPG Creator on Facebook
Renavoid

Post by Renavoid »

Hmm.. I think it's an interesting idea, although I wonder a few things about it. I don't have an Android or iPhone, so I haven't actually tried the app to see what it really does. Just making assumptions.

It's a service - but why no maintenance fees, even nominal? You plan for others to rely on your generosity when subscribing to your service for the foreseeable future? It's fine if that's what you want to do; I'm just thinking out loud here. I suppose you could always put up a Donations section and accept bids for Enhancements... Or some kind of premium model which allows anyone to use the service to push simple text notifications, but a small monthly subscription would let you push rich notifications with html or something. Even if that means the notification opens the app to display their content.. Personally, I think I prefer the previous route. Freemium kind of irritates me in how prevalent it is as a monetization gimmick.

For the purposes of below: service user = site owner; subscription user = person receiving notifications

Are you thinking of giving any options to the service user? Only hitting the notifications via an HTTP API, or do they get a login page on your site which would allow them to "remotely" trigger a notification to their subscription users (would facilitate sending notifications as a service for service users without a website or server)? Storing previous notifications? Can they select a specific subset of subscription users to send notifications to, or does each "app" have a single list of subscription users, no filtering? Does the service user have any administrative capability to see which users are subscribed correctly for their notifications? Can the service user delete subscriptions? Can the subscription user unsubscribe? Do the subscription users need a password to login to register their device for receiving notifications? Can the same subscription user register multiple devices to receive the notification? Some subscription users will have devices which support direct interaction (e.g. replying to an email from your notification center) - do you see giving the service user the option to implement those sort of features?

What devices do you want to support? What time frame are you looking at? For hosting - are you thinking of getting a virtual server, or just ftp and administration consoles? What web framework do you plan to use?

Uhh... I'll stop there. :D
The winds of change are blowing; will you heed their call?
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

I looked at the site, had no idea what it was about. Had no info, the site sucked.

You are serving as a middleman. Providing mobile interaction to nonmobile platforms. Thats your product. Your current profitization model, I dont like it and its not clear. Plus why wont people, upon seeing a need for this, just make simple HTML5 apps using their existing framework? And why would someone not want a mobile app if they see customers desire one? Especially established businesses.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Oroton wrote:
Renavoid wrote: It's a service - but why no maintenance fees, even nominal? You plan for others to rely on your generosity when subscribing to your service for the foreseeable future? It's fine if that's what you want to do;
unless this got to say 20,000notes per week. I couldn't see this system costing me any more that what it would cost me just to do my own push notification for my own app/website.
Would it be possible for other app developers to work your service into their own apps? If so, and you are offering it for free, you may get bum-rushed by devs just looking to exploit your generosity considering that most server push/notification services are commercial subscription services.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
KyleMassacre

Post by KyleMassacre »

I am actually really confused with how this would work in terms of spam and being utterly annoying to some people unless I am not grasping how this concept is going to work.

For example (since I am a little bit (<- key words) familiar with iOS) each device has an unique ID similar to a MAC address. How would you be able to determine who is a member of a particular site with just an email address? The only way to get a device ID is from your phone using the app unless you go and have the app user sunscribe to your site and select groups that they do in fact belong to, otherwise you will be sending people stuff they don't care about
KyleMassacre

Post by KyleMassacre »

I understand what you are trying to do but I feel it could lead to some sort of problems like abuse or something similar to that nature.

With that being said, the service you want to make doesn't sound too difficult at all. I have never touched anything for windows or android but for iOS it would be a synch. It just sounds like 3-4 View Controllers with table views, a Navigation Controller, and a webview. It is all just basic json or xml parsing or whatever your poison may be. For the site, to make life easy you can try out Codeigniter for your framework since I feel it's probably the easiest to use and make a quick site, and there is also a library made for it on github called Codeigniter REST-Server or something like that and it's real easy to use.
https://github.com/chriskacerguis/codei ... restserver

You can even deny/allow access to controllers with the API keys generated which would work real well if you decided you wanted to offer some premium features. I have used both of these and like them very much and what I was working on was also creating an API for sites. If I can do it anyone can lol
KyleMassacre

Post by KyleMassacre »

I wouldn't be as dedicated as I would like to be because I have my own pipeline right now.

I'm pretty sure you can use something like phonegap to create an app to get it to majority of devices out there. Also just in case you were not aware, the apps alone to deploy, you are looking at around ~$200 for licensing to the markets. If you are a student, you can bypass the developer license on windows which will save you some money in that aspect though too
Renavoid

Post by Renavoid »

Since it's a small team and not an actual company, the windows fee would only be $19. I have an interest in this project, but I'm only really interested in the windows dev and architecting the framework. I technically have the experience for iOS (and to a certain degree, Android as well), but don't really care to do it. I also wonder if I have the time to truly dedicate to this project. The main horsepower here is coming from the web server and its capabilities, not the individual apps. Those are the easy part.

As a quick aside: You mentioned that service users might be able to purchase something like a color theme for the app. That wouldn't really work, since you'd wind up submitting a separate app for every service user. Instead, you'd want to have a single app which listens to any notifications sent to it. That would allow a subscription user to have just one app installed for any number of notifications sent by the various websites/user groups the user joined.
The winds of change are blowing; will you heed their call?
KyleMassacre

Post by KyleMassacre »

Well what can be done is in regards to a "template" type thing for the app is have predefined color schemes built on the server (keep in mind this is for an app built in xcode, eclipse, or VS) and have the colors sent to the app through json or whatever have you and they just choose the scheme on the main site in their portal. If the apps are done right then you can dynamically change any aspect of the app without having to do an update through the market.

Return to “Recruitment”