Star Wars RTS game

Looking for a team? Need some team members?
dannostl

Star Wars RTS game

Post by dannostl »

So I am a HUGE fan of Star Wars. More specifically, the Clone Wars. I would like to make a rts game, making a cross between "Star Wars: Empire at War" and "Flagship." I would like to make a game that puts you as the general of the Republic Army, or the Confederacy, and order your ships how you would like, and to conquer the galaxy. Unfortunately, I have no previous coding experience. I would like to recruit a team of about 4 or 5 people, to help make me craft this game. Video links will be below for examples of how the game would work. Thanks!

Star Wars: Empire at War - Republic at War mod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7clKT0bWwnw

Flagship:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVr98bTzxH8
Xaleph

Re: Star Wars RTS game

Post by Xaleph »

Not to burst any bubbles, but you`ll get problems with licensing, Star Wars is heavily licensed so you won`t be able to make any money from it. However, I too am a huge Star Wars fan so regardles, I wish you the best of luck developping a game with the theme.
dannostl

Post by dannostl »

Xaleph wrote:Not to burst any bubbles, but you`ll get problems with licensing, Star Wars is heavily licensed so you won`t be able to make any money from it. However, I too am a huge Star Wars fan so regardles, I wish you the best of luck developping a game with the theme.
Im not really looking to make any money from it. But just to be able to play it and call it mine would be nice.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Sounds very cool, but I must say that fan games make me sad. Putting all that effort into a game that could all be destroyed and for nothing with a single cease and desist letter. All we have to do is look at some of the amazing fan games that, even though they were strictly non-commercial, got shut down. Chrono Trigger: Resurrection was an incredible-looking 3D remake of CT, with thousands of hours poured into development and content creation, only to be deleted after a single push a button by Square-Enix. Players will never be able to play it.

People used to say that George Lucas was stingy with fan-made Star Wars content, but I would have to assume it would be nothing compared to how Disney will likely handle it. Disney has made an empire on top of litigation and ferocious protection of their IPs, and has one of the largest legal teams in the whole entertainment industry. Even without making money off of it, they may still come with pitchforks and fire.

If you just tweaked a few names and specifics, you could have a completely legal, but very Star Wars-feeling product that you would have no fear for, and could even make money with if it caught on. They have no claim to sci-fi in general, and not even to other universes just like Star Wars. They only have claim to the names and likenesses of their persons, places and things.
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “Recruitment”