Getting Started

NEAB game engine
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Getting Started

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

So need to know from the group how you want to get started with this. For instance with items. Do we want to reload the old database of items or start over? Are we rebuilding the world or using the structure of the old one with new graphics?
Do you the soon to be mods and/or players want to begin now with what I have so far and me just update the game as I work on the engine? You will have fewer features now and still maybe some bugs but we can work through them as we go.
Servant_Girl

Re: Getting Started

Post by Servant_Girl »

The old database had a shit load of useless items that only existed to pas people's 'different objects carried' score' abd a huge amount of then didn't even have an icon. I would call for a lot of purging of the old items.

The old world had no structure. An archipelago is fine if you want to go that way but there needs to be reason and intensive to explore. Also a gradual difficulty curb. It was possible in NEaB to move over 1 island and the monsters be 100 levels higher... There was also no reason to explore other islands outside of increasing your quest count. You could go from level 1 to 1000 and complete every actually meaningful quest that actually progresses your account and not have to leave the main island more then oh about half a dozen times?

You defiantly shouldn't wait until everything is 100% done as that could take ages and you want to keep hype going, however if you have nothing then don't let people in to see the nothing. I'd pack it with interesting content to partake in from roughly levels 1 - 30 maybe 1-50 quests, dungeons, gear to find, ect for those levels and work on the larger game while your players enjoy that content, adding more as players start to reach end game.

((This is by no means professional input, I'm just someone who played neab for a very long time and who has played a good number of other 2d and 3d mmos))
At your service!
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Very good input! Thanks! Makes sense. I am all for just restarting everything and like you said add structure all along the way. I am a pen and paper gamer from old so I am very particular about equality in the game and proper progression.
Zorich

Post by Zorich »

I would say start over on the items as well. There were a lot of unused items.
Testing what you have working right now is not a bad idea, it can help finding bugs quicker.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Sounds good and thanks for all teh feedback. I am redoing the graphics now. Enlarging them and updating. Give me this weekend to get it all done and I will get a version live.
Ldeathsoul

Post by Ldeathsoul »

Hey! sorry i'm a tad late to the party. Kabor/Despair just told me that NEAB had been bought. i think NEAB should be started a new and that it could be part of the story of the game or something. like maybe a powerful monster or demon :twisted: or a meteor or something destroyed the old world of NEAB and this NEAB is sometime after that great event when people have rebuilt. so we could have a library in game that has mention of that and information on some of the old locations of NEAB that don't exist anymore for historical/story purposes.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

excellent idea, maybe even some old ruins?
zonneschijn

Post by zonneschijn »

Some items were good and could be kept, although I think it is best to start from scratch. That way you have a clear overview of what items are available. Neab really had a huge number of items, a lot of which were useless in the end. Maybe it is a good thing to start a thread on objects/features that should be kept from the old neab, and objects/features that can be left out or should definetly disappear.

As to the story and the world: neab did not really have a solid story, so new and consistent story is very welcome. Not sure yet what to suggest here though. Will a lot of old players come back or not? A strong reference to the old neab will be useful to the old players, but may be confusing and unnecessary for new players.

Will the tools for creating islands be kept in neab (island management tools they were called I think)? And will players be able to create their own island? That would be a great feature to the game, but it must be carefully worked out in order to make sure that abuse is kept to a very minimum.

Before putting the game online though, I think it will be important to have a good number of quests and/or some mini games and the basic features, which can be developped further later on.

And will there be a tutorial island, or will tutorial be integrated in the game?

Will there be a seperate chat (window) like there used to be in neab? I always liked that very much and do miss it in other games.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

The new NEAB will look very familiar as I am using the same engine just updating it. Many of the later features will be missing in the beginning but I will add them as we go. The basic features though like chat will still be in. I will have a game online shortly and will allow a few of you to go in there and start building but keep it closed from the public until we have the bugs worked out and some features in there. You guys are free to do whatever you want to start planning and I am hoping to find some leaders to get it all started.
Raiza

Post by Raiza »

Hi hi joining the party late as usual. As everyone has constantly reiterated NEaB had a large amount of useless items that we never used. Personally I blame the object creator but then again how would we have ever had our custom named personal gear sets, but nevermind that.

NEaB from the beginning was a player driven game and I think still should be. Player created and driven stories and islands to explore I think should be its focus. As someone stated before you could get from levels 1-1000 without ever leaving the main island. Which is what I so happened to do, I stayed on the main island for the majority of my NEaB play time I only started leaving when I was building up quest points or searching for object creators. Putting a level range or cap on the highest level monsters(within an area or on an island) could force players to adventure out to other places and make the game "thrive" a bit more by making players explore other peoples islands.

Certainly having one main game island or a few I think is fine, however what I originally liked about the game was player created places to explore.(And while we're on the subject of player created islands) Possibly a revisit to how the island creation system is in order, it before was clunky at times and was a learning curve for new players. I remember having quite some difficulties making my island for the first time and setting up a dummy quest to get it activated. At this point I don't remember how it worked however certainly looking at it and re-optimizing it would probably be a great addition.

At this point I realize I'm ranting ._. so I'll stop here.

Return to “NEAB”