Update on Hosting site info

Got a kewl website or have a website question? Hosting? Servers?
Telknor

Update on Hosting site info

Post by Telknor »

There are a few post in this section about possible hosting of VPS and Dedicated servers. I have contacted the following four hosting services.
1. underhost.com
2. datarealm.com
3. servermania.com
4. doteasy.com

I can report that as of yesterday afternoon all four host sites have given a positive reply that they would allow browser based mmo style games akin to Forge of Empires or OGame.

All four sites have also stated on follow up emails that they would allow starting out on a VPS then moving to a Dedicated at a later date if needed.

This information may be useful to some here.

Thank you for your time,
J.L.Allen
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: Update on Hosting site info

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Nice thanks! Any VPS should definitely allow for any games. I cannot imagine a host that would not. The main issue with hosting games are the free hosts which is a terrible idea to host games on to begin with. Hell I have offered free web hosting for web games for years and only about 3 people ever took the offer. :}
Telknor

Post by Telknor »

My only problem now is deciding which one to use. I've been mucking around with a laid back toned down version of OGame for a few weeks now. It is aimed at a more 'casual' type player base and not the hard core group that OGame has. I have also made the graphics more 'cute' in nature using voxel people and ship models. There is still a ton of work to do and things to clean up. I started work on it not knowing much about browser games and someone said I should make it one so I set out to do that. Halls videos have been a life saver and the introduction to wampserver and bootstrap have really helped. Most of my past work has been on single player games or ones with limited multiplayer match type setups.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Anxious to see your game in action.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Pretty much what Halls said. The only place where MMOs and PBBGs are a problem are with shared hosting (which, as Halls said, is a bad idea anyway). That is because shared hosts' entire business depends on being able to squeeze as many people on a server as they can and all of those people will be using minimal resources. Games use more resources than your average brochureware site so they are a problem. For a VPS or dedicated server, you are paying for a set amount of computing resources. Therefore if your game overruns those resources you are only hurting yourself, not anyone else sharing a server with you. Therefore at those levels you can really do whatever you want (within the law of course) with the resources you have bought.

That said, very interested to see more about your game. Just compare prices, how quickly the hosting can scale (you don't wan to lose an opportunity for rapid expansion because your host takes 3 days to expand your resources), the features available and up-time promises.
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “WebSite”