Domain names

Got a kewl website or have a website question? Hosting? Servers?
KyleMassacre

Domain names

Post by KyleMassacre »

You know, here and there I receive emails from places like Domains and Name Cheap about releases of new TLDs. I have a question, what are you views on picking up a new TLD? You like them, think they can be handy? Or are you just old school and stick with the common TLDs?

Before I ran out of drive and time, I picked up spammer.directory because I was going to make a service much like Akismet for people and their games or whatever site they wished to use it on. Then they released the .ninja TLD and thought to myself "Man, I gotta get me one of them" so I did ;) and purchased onebad.ninja. I may not ever use it as it was sort of an impulse buy but oh well haha
Sim

Re: Domain names

Post by Sim »

I think the release of all these new TLD's are just outright STUPID!!!!!!!!

I would however love to see the TLD .web

=)
oRPG Creator - Make Your Own Browser Game
oRPG Creator on Facebook
LNitewing

Post by LNitewing »

I think all the new TLD's are pretty pointless, the only use I see for them are for vanity. I think the old school TLD's are just fine as well as the country codes for them. :P

Vanity is nice and all, but I'm the type of person that sees functionality being superior. 8-)
Sanity is vastly overrated!
Twitter: @LNitewing (Personal Account), @NitewingGaming (for general development progress and stuff), @NiziniaGame (for specific updates on FKoN).
KyleMassacre

Post by KyleMassacre »

I think you guys have valid points but also a good domain name is an easy one to remember. For example I know people who sell plugins for various things so one uses a .codes TLD with a pretty simple domain name to remember. So I guess it's a matter of preference.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Anything that isn't .com, .net, .org or your country's TLDs is automatically hard to remember. Websites and other applications often won't even pick up that it is a website if you use a newer TLD. And getting all cheeky and using the TLD to spell part of your domain name? Just stop. You are literally turning people away from your site by over-complicating things. I am looking at you script.aculo.us.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Verahta

Post by Verahta »

.io is one I often remember, because it reminds me of reason #2 below:

• Increasingly popular for startups and tech websites.
    .IO can be used to substitute for the acronym i/o, or input/output.
    Create domain hacks such as scenar.IO, carpacc.IO, and pistach.IO.
"In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion".
Sim

Post by Sim »

Jackolantern wrote:Anything that isn't .com, .net, .org or your country's TLDs is automatically hard to remember. Websites and other applications often won't even pick up that it is a website if you use a newer TLD. And getting all cheeky and using the TLD to spell part of your domain name? Just stop. You are literally turning people away from your site by over-complicating things. I am looking at you script.aculo.us.
Maybe for the older generations, but for generations to come. It'll be like natural for them
oRPG Creator - Make Your Own Browser Game
oRPG Creator on Facebook
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Sim wrote:
Jackolantern wrote:Anything that isn't .com, .net, .org or your country's TLDs is automatically hard to remember. Websites and other applications often won't even pick up that it is a website if you use a newer TLD. And getting all cheeky and using the TLD to spell part of your domain name? Just stop. You are literally turning people away from your site by over-complicating things. I am looking at you script.aculo.us.
Maybe for the older generations, but for generations to come. It'll be like natural for them
I don't think so, just for the fact that new TLDs keep coming. If we just had the same group of 10 or 12, I would say yes, older people just know .com, but the younger generation will know them all.

But we have .ninja now. That is a thing. If even a young person today say gameplace.ninja, would they even know it was a website? Or would they think it is a run-on sentence possibly? While it seems memorable, I would hazard a guess that most people will just confuse it in the end and have a hard time finding it again.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

There are still plenty of .Coms left. Just got to be creative.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:There are still plenty of .Coms left. Just got to be creative.
Yep, and each extra letter increases the chance of finding one. I can't remember the stats, but I think everything 5 letters or lower is gone. But once you go beyond that and, like Halls said, start getting creative, you will find tons of them.

It is debatable, but I would personally rather go with a longer .com than any other type of TLD.

Return to “WebSite”