Portfolio Site - Feedback

Got a kewl website or have a website question? Hosting? Servers?
rockinliam

Portfolio Site - Feedback

Post by rockinliam »

My lecturer keeps poking me to put together a portfolio as i'm nearing my senior year. So i've put together a small site that i would love to get some feedback on.
Link: http://liam-griffiths.co.uk/

If you were in charge of recruitment, would this front-page put you off? Honest feedback very much appreciated.
Skillset: C/C++, OpenGL, C#, Lua, PHP, MySql, Web Dev etc.
Xaos

Re: Portfolio Site - Feedback

Post by Xaos »

First thing would be the typo of 'studin' instead of studying. As far as the from page, its hard to tell without the rest of the site/info but its a step in the right direction.
Chromeozone

Post by Chromeozone »

If I was a recruiter for a small or big company and I saw you had hacker I would first think.. well Okay, what can he hack, and is he a benefit or a security risk to the company. On that basis, I would decline you.

But I like the coding on the left :D
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

wow I love it!

Question is are you trying to find a job or impress a team of indie devs?

Hacking would make 99.9% of all recruiters skip on you. Trust me. Listing non essential hobbies only drives hiring managers insane. Example: I have a team of workers in Jamaica. It friggin drives me insane that they put their hobbies on their resume.
This is a snippet of the average Jamaica resume
Hobbies
Singing
Playing Xbox
Talking to friends
Picking up Girls

I have hired around 30 people in the past year and a half. All salaries ranging from 25k-80k. I don't care nor do I want to see your interest or hobbies unless they pertain to the job. Hobby of game development..yes. Singing? Hell no
I want to know how you are going to make my life easier and playing games, singing, dancing, hooking up with girls, is not going to do it.

i do love the way you did the code and the layout though. Wish I would have thought of it.
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:
I want to know how you are going to make my life easier and playing games, singing, dancing, hooking up with girls, is not going to do it.

I can tell you a few ways 8-)

I agree though.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

hahaha
rockinliam

Post by rockinliam »

Hi halls, the eventual goal is to have a blog and portfolio that can be presented to an employer after i graduate. I agree about the contents of the heading, it's placeholder mostly, but some good points made, hacking probably would only be of benefit if i was a going for a job as a pentester. :)

Thanks for the feedback, it's better to be critical now, rather than after i'm rejected by actual recruiters.
I'll go make some iterations.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Chromeozone wrote:If I was a recruiter for a small or big company and I saw you had hacker I would first think.. well Okay, what can he hack, and is he a benefit or a security risk to the company. On that basis, I would decline you.

But I like the coding on the left :D
In the world of software development, "hacker" doesn't have anything to do with security. A "hacker" is just a term for a programmer who pounds out tons of code, oftentimes by the seat of their pants, figuring out the system as they go. It is similar to the term "hack writer". In software development, devs who try to break into systems and find exploits would either be called "crackers" or "black/gray/white hats".

As far as the site goes, I like it, but I am not sure about that code on the left. Maybe you don't want to have a method to surf Reddit taking an argument of how many hours considering that most of the other methods relate to work :P lol
The indelible lord of tl;dr
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:wow I love it!

Question is are you trying to find a job or impress a team of indie devs?

Hacking would make 99.9% of all recruiters skip on you. Trust me. Listing non essential hobbies only drives hiring managers insane. Example: I have a team of workers in Jamaica. It friggin drives me insane that they put their hobbies on their resume.
This is a snippet of the average Jamaica resume
Hobbies
Singing
Playing Xbox
Talking to friends
Picking up Girls

I have hired around 30 people in the past year and a half. All salaries ranging from 25k-80k. I don't care nor do I want to see your interest or hobbies unless they pertain to the job. Hobby of game development..yes. Singing? Hell no

i do love the way you did the code and the layout though. Wish I would have thought of it.
Ahahaha "Hey I'm Mark, and I would like to be your next software developer, I have one hobby, it's picking up chicks though :)"
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

rockinliam

Post by rockinliam »

Jackolantern wrote: As far as the site goes, I like it, but I am not sure about that code on the left. Maybe you don't want to have a method to surf Reddit taking an argument of how many hours considering that most of the other methods relate to work :P lol
That method is a bug that i've been trying to iron out for for quite some time. :lol:

Return to “WebSite”