How much can a Raspberry Pi Web Server Handle

Got a kewl website or have a website question? Hosting? Servers?
vitinho444

How much can a Raspberry Pi Web Server Handle

Post by vitinho444 »

Hey guys, i found out how to install multiple boots in one SD card and i have a Web Server, OpenLec (Media center) and Raspbian, i was wondering if i could save the 14€/year on my oryzhon.com host + domain and use raspberry pi as my website host.

I have a 120MB/s connection (30MB average download, 10MB upload) and no bandwidth restrictions.

Not that my website gets that much of visitors, in 2012 it got 6000. (i started in November 2011)

So, can it handle? I will probably just use the raspberry web server as a tester and maybe to do some hosting of some files i want to have on the internet. Maybe start a cloud home service?

What you guys think? (Mostly halls since it's the only one that has one i think.)
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

a_bertrand

Re: How much can a Raspberry Pi Web Server Handle

Post by a_bertrand »

Well, it depends what your webserver do and how fast it must answer. Let's say your pages requires huge data set to be crunched in near real-time? No then it will not work out. If you server mostly static content, then I'm pretty sure it will be ok.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Well a normal website nothing too fancy :) But i guess its for the best to use it as a temp and rely on my host :)

Thanks

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

6,000 in a year? Yes definitely...We are a 12 million hit a year site running on a server I am sure is only 3x that of a pi.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

wow, 12 million .. I must be 10% of that since i visit IR like 200x a day (no doubt).

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

vitinho444 wrote:wow, 12 million .. I must be 10% of that since i visit IR like 200x a day (no doubt).
Even with 200 a day for year that's only .6% :P
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Hehehe i know :)

Halls.. not to say bad about your administration, but you should put at least one ad in the website.. somewhere like the register page maybe.. It would help you paying for this.. Every time i think how much you spend with us :roll: We don't deserve it :oops: jk but i think you understand what i'm trying to say.

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

A raspberry pi would be a good starter host. Really what would likely give out first is your bandwidth, not the box. Even in Europe, upload speeds are poor compared to download, which makes home connections unable to scale well and handle large loads. Hosting facilities and high-end business connections always include at least equal upload if not even higher than download, specifically for hosting since upload is the prime direction for servers.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

You're right, in that internet speed test, i have this:

So as you can see the difference is huge. But i can upload files at MEGA or CloudPT (my country cloud service) at 1MB/s average.

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

vitinho444 wrote:You're right, in that internet speed test, i have this:

So as you can see the difference is huge. But i can upload files at MEGA or CloudPT (my country cloud service) at 1MB/s average.
I would still believe your upload bandwidth would give out before your server would. You also have to make sure your ISP even allows the hosting of servers. I have no idea if they typically do or not in Europe, but in the US, many ISPs will give you a warning and eventually suspend you if you try to run an active server 24/7. Residential internet service is for typical residential use, and often they call server hosting a business usage.
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “WebSite”