Recommended Paid Host?

Got a kewl website or have a website question? Hosting? Servers?
62896dude

Recommended Paid Host?

Post by 62896dude »

Hey there everyone,

I am currently looking at Go-Daddy as a best candidate for hosting my site, but I am not quite sure. I have also considered HostGator, but in their T.o.S., they specifically have a rule against RPG's. Go-daddy is 12 bucks a year, and HostGator is 6 bucks a month. Obviously the price difference is huge, but what do you guys think about Go-Daddy, should I use that one? Or maybe another one that I didn't name? If you have one I didn't mention, I would like for it to be definately under 5 dollars a month.

Thanks!

EDIT: I misread their site, it isn't 12 bucks a year, it is 5, lol, but same thing applies, especially since there is no rule against RPG's in their T.o.S.
Languages: C++, C#, Javascript + Angular, PHP
Programs: Webstorm 2017, Notepad++, Photoshop
Current Project: HP Destiny
62896dude

Re: Recommended Paid Host?

Post by 62896dude »

Update: This site is only $3.95/month with a free domain name... This one is looking pretty good! http://www.webhostinghub.com/web-hosting-features.html There is also nothing against Games/RPG's in its terms of service. I will email them tomorrow to clarify this, but if they do allow it, this may be the best one.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Most hosts don't write in a specific rule against RPGs. Instead, how they bar them is that pretty much every shared host has rules against excessive CPU usage, which is exactly what the scripts for a game does.

However, Halls has successfully hosted several games on Godaddy, mostly without incident. However, there have been periods where he has not been very happy with them and has considered changing several times. He will have to give you an update on what he thinks of them now or if he has changed.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
62896dude

Post by 62896dude »

Okay, that was very helpful, thanks! I shall await halls, as he is bound to see this soon!
ConceptDestiny

Post by ConceptDestiny »

If you're in the UK, I absolutely recommend Pac Web Hosting, or for the US try Hostdime.
Gustava

Post by Gustava »

I have used a few, and would recommend Hostgator personally. Everyone has their own experience with whoever they choose and can go either way depending how they handle it, but good luck with whatever company you do go with.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I will say that Hostgator's HQ is about 10 miles from my house, and they are a very large outfit. Take that for what it is worth, because Godaddy is the biggest and people have problems with them all the time, but at least I know for a fact that HG has a huge facility full of service people, and even casually know one of them.
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

I use Datarealm.

Datarealm Been with them for a while and love them and would recommend them. The have awesome support and the VPS prices aren't that bad!

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Have you used their shared hosting, though, Spirit? I think a lot of people just dipping their toes in the water are more likely to go for shared hosting first.
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

Its just as cheap with a VPS personally...I haven't messed with the shared hosting side of them...their cheapest is $4.95/mon for a VPS

Return to “WebSite”