Complete newbie here. Need help with, well, everything...

Got a kewl website or have a website question? Hosting? Servers?

Re: Complete newbie here. Need help with, well, everything...

Postby Slav2 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:43 pm

ok i pay 5.75 about a month....but you can only buy packaged each lasting a year....so

1. 12 months pachage
2. two years
3. three years

unlimited everything and its recommended by a lot of people especially on different websites. sub domains are free and to add another domain, its only 10 per year.

check it out,

hostmonster.com
Thanks,

Slav2
Slav2

Postby PaxBritannia » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:50 pm

Well, whether your making a game or not doesn't directly affect the cost. It depends on what will you be doing with the site.

Mine was Justhost ($82 for 2 years), although they are ok, the reliability is only just ok. I'm moving to Mediatemple soon ($20/m+).

And post all your questions here. Most of the time its quicker and its always better to get a second opinion on how to solve things.

Pax.
PaxBritannia

Postby Torniquet » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:52 pm

i use host gator. unlim diskspace and bandwidth. $4.95 a month. pay monthly. http://www.hostgator.com/shared.shtml

it is probably better you download msn, or use ebuddy. google it, its an online msn. you can post your email addy if you so wish, but someone can pick it up n spam the hell out of you lol. discussion is easier via IM rather than emails / pms.

if this is your 1st site, i would suggest hosting it on 000webhost to get the design etc right, then worry about the host once you have things sorted. It also give you a chance to get to grips with things before thinking *OMG GOTTA PAY FOR A SITE I DONT EVEN HAVE DESIGNED* lol.

you have fallen into the right hands over here... we wont steer you wrong.... except Pax. hes a funny one, just dont walk past dark allies with him.

@pax

i agree posting questions on here helps, but with one on one help, assistance and what not. it probably better via IM.
New Site Coming Soon! Stay tuned :D
Torniquet

Postby Psycho-Drive » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:34 pm

Ok, so for 000webhost, do I need to buy a separate domain name, or do I not need one for that?

By the way, is "domain name" the same thing as the "url"?
Psycho-Drive

Postby Torniquet » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:37 pm

no you dont need to buy a domain. you can if you like, but not required.

a domain is 'indie-resource.com'

a url is 'www.indie-resource.com/forums'
Torniquet

Postby Psycho-Drive » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:41 pm

Torniquet wrote:no you dont need to buy a domain. you can if you like, but not required.

a domain is 'indie-resource.com'

a url is 'www.indie-resource.com/forums'

Ok, so what would I use as my url if I went to 000webhost without a domain name? Would it give me one? Would I type in what I wanted and they'd tack .000webhost or something of that nature on the end?

Also, would I be able to import my work on 000webhost over to whatever I use next, or will I have to redo it all?
Psycho-Drive

Postby SpiritWebb » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:57 pm

To import your work, you will need to use an FTP transfer. I use FileZilla.

As far as the website name, you will choose a name, and it will give you the rest. For example, mine is scorpiusgroup.host22.com. It automatically gave me the host22.com, I had to chose the scorpiusgroup.

SpiritWebb
Rockywood Studios

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Torniquet » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:15 pm

as spirit said :p

*just want to feel important yaknow :(*
Torniquet

Postby Psycho-Drive » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:49 pm

Wait a minute, what exactly would be wrong if I just stuck with the 000webs website instead of buying my own domain name? What does having my own domain name do, besides extra prestige and the right to more space/bandwith/memory/stuff?

EDIT: I'm reading a lot of negative reviews on 000webhost... are there any free hosts that DON'T suck? I've heard AwardSpace was good, but I don't know if their freebie package comes with a domain/subdomain thingy...
Psycho-Drive

Postby Jackolantern » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:41 pm

Psycho-Drive wrote:Wait a minute, what exactly would be wrong if I just stuck with the 000webs website instead of buying my own domain name? What does having my own domain name do, besides extra prestige and the right to more space/bandwith/memory/stuff?

EDIT: I'm reading a lot of negative reviews on 000webhost... are there any free hosts that DON'T suck? I've heard AwardSpace was good, but I don't know if their freebie package comes with a domain/subdomain thingy...

From your needs, I don't think you do need to pay for hosting or a domain. Let me try to clear some things up on what exactly you get with what:

Free hosting without a domain:
-You will be on a more limited hosting plan, meaning you will have less harddrive space, less bandwidth to actually send pages to people, less email addresses (but who really cares about this one?), etc.
-You will get a sub-domain, like "mysite.hosts22.com" instead of "www.mysite.com". While it is a bit harder to remember, it also looks a lot less professional. However, that may not matter if you aren't selling a good or service. '
-However, that domain can cause your site to not receive as high of a ranking on search engines such as Google or Bing. Depending on what you want out of your site, this may not matter, or it could be a horrible thing. Free domain sites rarely appear in the top 10 pages of any half-way-sane web search.

Free hosting with a purchased domain:
-You will have to pay a fairly small fee, typically once a year. Many domain-registries charge about $5 - $10 a year for a domain.
-You will have the same limitations as above as far as the hosting goes
-...but you will get the opposite as far as the domain. You will be able to get something like "www.mysite.com", better search engine results, easier to remember URL, etc.

Paid hosting without a domain:
-This is hardly ever chosen, so it really isn't worth discussing. Many paid hosts will register a domain for you since your monthly fee more than covers it.

Paid hosting with a domain:
-You will have to pay $5+ a month for hosting, and that may include the domain or not.
-You will get more control over your site and how it is managed. A lot of this is simply small touches, like easier back-ups of your site's data, better access to the data, and many other small touches.
-You will get more hard-drive space to store your website files, more bandwidth for sending more pages to people, more email addresses (again, if you need them; most don't really need 100+ email addresses), etc.
-You will have all the benefits of a registered domain.

Just choose whatever seems best for your needs, but from what you said in the first post, I think all free will work fine for you. I don't think you will get enough benefit from paying for it to be worth a piece of your limited funds. Best of luck :)
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Jackolantern

Blog: View Blog (1)

PreviousNext

Return to WebSite