Complete newbie here. Need help with, well, everything...

Got a kewl website or have a website question? Hosting? Servers?
Psycho-Drive

Complete newbie here. Need help with, well, everything...

Post by Psycho-Drive »

Sorry for the vague title, I didn't really know how to word this...

I gave up trying to make games a long, long, time ago, so I might have different needs than most of you, but I'm aiming to create a website for my micronation (websites are territory. Territory creates an impression of legitimacy. Legitimacy attracts people. People build legitimacy. Legitimacy is good.).
The website probably won't generate a lot of traffic, and doesn't need to run games or flashing images or anything fancy like that (maybe videos at most). It does NOT need to make money, it's main purpose is to say "hey look, our nation has a website!" in addition to providing news announcements and a place to put legal documents.

Now, in addition to being a complete newbie, I have NO money whatsoever (well, I DO have a little money, but I'm at a loss as to how to pay money over the internet). So, I need something that's entirely free.

I've read the thesitewizard article (http://www.thesitewizard.com/gettingsta ... site.shtml), but it didn't really help much since I would have to actually BUY a domain name to follow it.

Besides not being able to buy anything or give anyone a credit card number (because I don't have one), I also still don't understand much tech-talk (despite having taken Programming II), so I don't have a clue how to choose a webdesigner or a host (I do know to avoid freewebs.com, though, from what I've read from the reviews).

So, uh, I guess my first question is, where do I start?? (Well, I know to register a domain name BEFORE designing a site, but where do I start to get a domain name? Is it even possible to get a domain name for free?)
Slav2

Re: Complete newbie here. Need help with, well, everything...

Post by Slav2 »

Well one way you can transfer money online is using paypal. and umm, i started also not to long ago, and i remember i was totaly like you :) but i did some research and watched and read a TON of tutorials, and i just paid for a host. its not that much /month. so i would recommend starting with watching and reading tutorials. Halls has an excellent one that im in the middle of right now myself. So just do that and browser thro this forum and any others you may come across and do lots of research. and then if you have questions or dont understand some particular part, just ask here on the forum and someone will help out.

Hope that clears some things up :)

Edit:

i just found someone advertising a free host. you might want to check it out if your looking for a free one.
http://indie-resource.com/forums/viewto ... =16&t=2713
Thanks,

Slav2
Psycho-Drive

Post by Psycho-Drive »

Yeah, I saw that ad, but in another thread (older than that one, I think), that same host was mentioned as someone NOT to use...

To get money on paypal, not only would I need to figure out how to use a paypal account, I'd also need a continuous supply of money. As a teenager and a college student, I won't be able to expect that anywhere in the near future. I do have friends with money, but so far they've consistently not wanted to donate to anything I consider to be important.
Slav2

Post by Slav2 »

u dont need a continuous amount of money. im a teenager myself and dont have a job. just save up some money and put it on ur acc.
Thanks,

Slav2
Psycho-Drive

Post by Psycho-Drive »

Slav2 wrote:u dont need a continuous amount of money. im a teenager myself and dont have a job. just save up some money and put it on ur acc.
There's no way I'd have enough to keep the site running for more than a month or two. Stuff like this is in the range of $30 a month, isn't it?
Slav2

Post by Slav2 »

no.....i pay only about 5.75 a month.....
Thanks,

Slav2
Torniquet

Post by Torniquet »

depends what your after... for the start up you could get away with maybe $15 to start (1st month + domain) then $3.99 a month there on out. only having to pay more once a year to renew your domain.

ill be more than happy to dare i say 'tutor' you through the basics and help you get a grasp of whats what. There are plenty of tools such as CMS engines that you can use to make things 50 x easier on you.

if you have msn pm me your addy and ill add you. ill prob only be able to help mostly at weekends, depends where you live though lol. bein from the uk, and guessing your american? during the week might be a tad difficult. but still a little help is better than no help :p

ill atleast try to help you get off the ground if nothing else (get you a website and a CMS installed lol) if your adament you cant pay for a site atm, then 000webhost.com is probably your best bet for now... but it wont do you forever.

anyways. gimme a shout if you wanna take up the offer.

first hour is free, then $10,000,000.00 per half hour after that... sound ok to you? :p (damn wrong service :()
New Site Coming Soon! Stay tuned :D
PaxBritannia

Post by PaxBritannia »

It depends, but I would say $6 per month and an additional $10 a year would be enough to host your game until a lot of people start playing it (that depends on how efficient your game is with the server (the actual computer which hosts the game)). So thats $80 a year.

I was able to get 2 years of hosting and a domain for $82 ish dollars (Just host, although their reliability is isn't so good, it should be acceptable for you). So thats around $3.50 a month.

Don't worry about Torniquet, he's joking about the $10,000,000.00 per half hour. If you have any questions about coding, hosting, or technology in general, just ask, we're here to help. :D

pax.
Torniquet

Post by Torniquet »

PaxBritannia wrote:It depends, but I would say $6 per month and an additional $10 a year would be enough to host your game until a lot of people start playing it (that depends on how efficient your game is with the server (the actual computer which hosts the game)). So thats $80 a year.

I was able to get 2 years of hosting and a domain for $82 ish dollars (Just host, although their reliability is isn't so good, it should be acceptable for you). So thats around $3.50 a month.

Don't worry about Torniquet, he's joking about the $10,000,000.00 per half hour. If you have any questions about coding, hosting, or technology in general, just ask, we're here to help. :D

pax.

im not joking about the $10,000,000.... but thats a different rental service charge ;)

(s)he doesnt want to host a game (if you read.. duh :p) just a plain website.
New Site Coming Soon! Stay tuned :D
Psycho-Drive

Post by Psycho-Drive »

I don't have MSN or any form of chat service... I've got an email address though, if that's close enough (which might have instant messenger capability, I dunno). Should I post it here?

I can probably afford $6 a month for a while. I've got a $30 visa gift card sitting around (recently I had a friend put the card into a paypal account; I'm confused, does this mean that the money from the card is deposited into the paypal, or that paypal can access whatever I put into the card?). I was planning to get something on ebay or something like that, but this is more important.
What is the one you mentioned that was $6 a month?

Oh, and remember, I'm NOT making a game with this. Does that affect the cost at all?

Return to “WebSite”