this might be a good site.

Got a kewl website or have a website question? Hosting? Servers?
Phantom Coder

this might be a good site.

Post by Phantom Coder »

Im not to familiar with what we need to have a game running, can someone let me know if this is a good site?

http://www.theepichost.info/
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: this might be a good site.

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

does it support crons?
Noctrine

Post by Noctrine »

We use a powerful cluster of web servers that are all interconnected to act as one giant super computer. This technology is years ahead of other hosting companies. Combining the power of many servers creates lightening fast website speeds. Not only is the service extremely fast, it is resistant to failures that effect 'single server' hosting, used by most other free and paid hosting providers. If one of our clustered servers were to fail or have a problem, your website will continue to run normally using the working servers!
Be wary.
Jesse Dorsey
ProjectANI - Lead Developer Person
http://about.me/jessedorsey
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Noctrine wrote:
We use a powerful cluster of web servers that are all interconnected to act as one giant super computer. This technology is years ahead of other hosting companies. Combining the power of many servers creates lightening fast website speeds. Not only is the service extremely fast, it is resistant to failures that effect 'single server' hosting, used by most other free and paid hosting providers. If one of our clustered servers were to fail or have a problem, your website will continue to run normally using the working servers!
Be wary.
Yep. If nothing else, that sounds like they may be very stingy with CPU and memory resources.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Phantom Coder

Post by Phantom Coder »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:does it support crons?
I do not know what crons is.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Phantom Coder wrote:
hallsofvallhalla wrote:does it support crons?
I do not know what crons is.
"Crons" are a feature of Linux (the OS you will be hosting your game on) that allow you to run files at set times without the user having to be present. They are used in PHP game development quite often due to the nature of PHP: without crons, you cannot set up things to happen on their own.

Some hosts do not allow crons at all, and some have severe limits on them. However, this is understandable, because some applications can have crons running several times a second, which is way too much for a shared server.
Noctrine

Post by Noctrine »

My comment was directed more at the nature of their claims.
This technology is years ahead of other hosting companies.
Combining the power of many servers creates lightening fast website speeds.
Jesse Dorsey
ProjectANI - Lead Developer Person
http://about.me/jessedorsey
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Noctrine wrote:My comment was directed more at the nature of their claims.
This technology is years ahead of other hosting companies.
Combining the power of many servers creates lightening fast website speeds.
It is just a server cluster with redundancy. They are just trying to make a buck by explaining common technology in a weird way that makes it sound new and combining that with over-blown claims. I wouldn't think that is cause for alarm, really. Almost every commercial these days do it. I believe it is Kleenex who now claim to have something called "Sneeze Shield". It is called a tissue. They do that. -shakes first at the world like an old man-

Return to “WebSite”