Web hosting questions

Got a kewl website or have a website question? Hosting? Servers?
Zyviel

Web hosting questions

Post by Zyviel »

I have been working on my fantasy themed strategy game and am getting close to having something that I would like to put out on the web. I was thinking of going to Godaddy.com and purchasing a domain name and unlimited but shared webhosting.

All my code is web based html, javascript and php and I'm wondering if it will matters if I choose a linux or windows server? Thanks for any advice or warnings you can give me on which platform to choose.
Noctrine

Re: Web hosting questions

Post by Noctrine »

Don't use godaddy for site hosting. Just don't.

Unlimited doesn't exist, anyone who says unlimited will shut you down if you ever get moderately successful. It won't matter THAT much, but you save cash with a Linux server, if you are developing using Hall's Tutorials I recommend a linux server.
Jesse Dorsey
ProjectANI - Lead Developer Person
http://about.me/jessedorsey
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Linux will also perform faster because as an OS it is more customizable than Windows, and professional web hosts strip almost everything out that is not needed in that environment. That can drastically lower the overhead that would be there in a Windows environment.

Basically, for web hosting you get Linux unless you have a Windows-only technology to support, such as ASP.NET or SQL Server.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Rastan

Post by Rastan »

Ive been looking at http://mediatemple.net/webhosting/ for my stuff. I don't know if anyone here uses them but they seem at least from a read through to look pretty good to me. I would say they're a bit pricy... but with the set warnings and standards it looks like I wouldn't get cut off at some admins whim either. If anyone knows more about this company please fill me in lol. I would def like to know if this a route I don't wanna take.
Zyviel

Post by Zyviel »

Thanks for the responses. I was thinking Linux would be the best choice since I'm not using anything that is windows dependent. I will probably use Godaddy to start with, since I'm new to this and I just feel more comfortable to go with a big name company while I'm learning my way around.

Noctrine, I'm curious if what you said is true about unlimited hosting. I do agree that if you had a really busy site then shared hosting would not be sufficient and you would probably need to purchase dedicated servers and bandwidth. However, it seems like the host should come to you and explain why shared hosting is not working and offer upgrade options instead of just shutting you down for being too busy.
Noctrine

Post by Noctrine »

The common practice is to shut you off, say you need to upgrade and some people have even been fined for the extra usage. But this is because most hosts that offer unlimited aren't datacenters themselves, just resellers.

Godaddy is their own datacenter, but they are ruthless about resources. The only reason they advertise unlimited is because people are stupid. Always read the TOS, and this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overselling

And don't even use godaddy to start, its not worth the hassle, read Halls' various issues with it.
Jesse Dorsey
PaxBritannia

Post by PaxBritannia »

MT (media-temple) is great. Excellent. Fantastic.

Look at it this way, if the servers fail, they give you free hosting!
Their servers were faulty for a month or two due to a framework error, they gave everyone a year of free hosting to compensate.

The burstable Mysql usage (they sell it as MySQL smartpool) are good also.
But a bit pricy, so yeah.

ita Stet.
Noctrine

Post by Noctrine »

For an hobbiest a month of downtime followed by a free year is awesome.

For a business a month of downtime could be bankruptcy.
Jesse Dorsey
PaxBritannia

Post by PaxBritannia »

It was on and off, but even if it did kill some business, that just stabilises the economy. ;)

A bit-off topic here, but most business don't have a website. The ones that do normally have websites have ones designed which look good but have no functionality at all.

ita Stet.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

That is called "Brochureware", and there is nothing really wrong with it if the company does a function that can't really be carried out or augmented online. But unfortunately, there are a lot of companies who have Brochureware sites who could be capitalizing in some way off of people visiting their website. Brochure sites also very rarely cause repeat traffic.
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “WebSite”