Dreamhost

Got a kewl website or have a website question? Hosting? Servers?
Noctrine

Re: Dreamhost

Post by Noctrine »

And one amazingly epic hacking. Can't forget the amazingly epic hacking. Had tons of people who hosted with them wondering why there was an encoded string added to each of their files. I think a bit of it is still on stackoverflow, and a few other places.

If you want advice on who to host with Web Host Talk, Webmaster Forums, WebMaster Talk, and Digitalpoint are your friends.
Jesse Dorsey
ProjectANI - Lead Developer Person
http://about.me/jessedorsey
Baseball435

Post by Baseball435 »

Wow they really did that? Couldn't they be sued? And well ok I'm not going to be using dreamhost
Noctrine

Post by Noctrine »

They didn't do it, someone else did it.
Jesse Dorsey
Baseball435

Post by Baseball435 »

Noctrine wrote:They didn't do it, someone else did it.
oh wow they must have lost a lot of people to that
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Loopy wrote:... or or you bill me incorrectly' scenarios...
Holy crap! That is their official blog run by the company?
The indelible lord of tl;dr
PaxBritannia

Post by PaxBritannia »

Ok.... weird...
Well, at least they explained what happened.Image

Pax.
Noctrine

Post by Noctrine »

I <3 that comment thread.
Jesse Dorsey
Loopy

Post by Loopy »

Jackolantern wrote:
Loopy wrote:... or or you bill me incorrectly' scenarios...
Holy crap! That is their official blog run by the company?

Yes, that's official.. and their honesty and transparency into their company does appeal to a lot of people that prefer that over marketing hype and professional "smoke blowing"... including myself. However, they just don't reliably back it up with good service and support. Most of their clientele are attracted by the mass giveaways, but the reality is that most people don't come anywhere close to needing what even the lowest level package of any provider offers.

I work in the industry and a few months ago we ran usage stats across a random section of our customers (approximately 50k clients). Average disk space usage was less than 200MB and average bandwidth usuage over the previous 6 months was 1.2GB.

So in the end, dreamhost is good for what dreamhost is good for.. nothing critical, and nothing that you're not willing to routinely manually backup yourself. If you do that, they're a good deal. If you don't, you'll get burned.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Loopy wrote:Yes, that's official.. and their honesty and transparency into their company does appeal to a lot of people that prefer that over marketing hype and professional "smoke blowing"... including myself. However, they just don't reliably back it up with good service and support.
I really can't help but think that maybe the lax, unprofessional image and the lack of good service and support are related. Maybe I am just old fashioned, but I prefer to trust my business with professional companies who don't make obvious drug use references lol.
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “WebSite”