IndieSafe

Got a kewl website or have a website question? Hosting? Servers?
OldRod

Re: IndieSafe

Post by OldRod »

I've been burned on too many membership sites before. I pay a fee per month/year/whatever and never get the promised content. So, in answer to your question, I would never pay for a membership, no matter what was offered.

I would much rather pay for content that I want as a one-time payment. Such as Halls is planning on doing with is Gold package.
Viper

Post by Viper »

Thanks,

for that reason I have the free option but activity is required to be part of the Design Vault for free.
Any comments on the overall system?
jpoisson

Post by jpoisson »

Really how does your site differ from Indie-resource.com? Because looking at your ad picture everything on it is supplied here? How are you going to help the Indie Gaming Community?

As a student studying interactive gaming and will be finishing my program in 2012, how is your site/magazine going to effectively help and influence future developers?

How are you going to try and Integrate Your Indie site with other indie communities to get bigger faster and with more content? What aspects of gaming are you covering? You may say all but really describe it?

These are some of the few questions that will and are always being asked to new sites like yours. I don't want to sound like a prick but these are questions that do need answers that need to be refined and desirable to hear.
Laguages:
PHP, MYSQL, (X)HTML, HTML5, JQuery, CSS 3.0,
C, C#, C++, Python, Pascal, Perl, Ruby, Turing

Software:
Adobe MC CS4, Visual Studio 2008, Notepad++,
NetBeans IDE, WAMPSERVER

Browsers:
Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome
(Always have latest patches for browsers.)

Free time:
Viper

Post by Viper »

jpoisson wrote:Really how does your site differ from Indie-resource.com? Because looking at your ad picture everything on it is supplied here? How are you going to help the Indie Gaming Community?

Personally i would not want to compare myself to indie-resource. A. I dont want to try to insult halls unintentionally by pointing out a feature or something i find better with what i propose with indiesafe. B. Home field advantage, makes "Me" look like a prick. I personally asked halls if it would be ok to post this thread here, (the only community that i have given so much detail to infact) and he agreed. I did not post this to try to detract or insult indie-resource in anyway.

As far as something specific, i believe indie-resource is tailored directly towards the game developers specifically, while IndieSafe is being built to be a community for game players AND developers. In an equal manner. Hopefully this will cause more of a wider audience for an indie developer.

As a student studying interactive gaming and will be finishing my program in 2012, how is your site/magazine going to effectively help and influence future developers?

Other then the above, i feel that IndieSafe is simply more then a forum, which many communities fail to get past. (Not directed at indie-resource, i actually find indie-resource to one of the few that actually offer something) With the blogs, feature articles, and the proposed Design Safe (still would like an opinion) for starters, it has the chance to become something bigger and not stuck in a corner of the "internetz". While i certainly havnt achieved this yet, its my hope and dream for the site.

How are you going to try and Integrate Your Indie site with other indie communities to get bigger faster and with more content? What aspects of gaming are you covering? You may say all but really describe it?

Honestly, i would like to focus the site on the indie field as a whole, but realistically i know thats not possible. While the feature articles are focused on the larger projects, or the well done indie games, the blogs, and community features are based on what the community actively makes. So the site covers, what the community does, and how the indie field shifts as a whole.

Of course, i do have a bit of a extra support for mmo/online indie games and online game design as a whole, so any articles i write will likely focus on the genre, but the featured articles will also vary in topic based on the writers choices, opinions, and personal favorites in games.

For a fair answer, time will be the best judge of this.

These are some of the few questions that will and are always being asked to new sites like yours. I don't want to sound like a prick but these are questions that do need answers that need to be refined and desirable to hear.

Don't worry, your not coming off like a prick. In-fact i enjoy answering these since it lets me get my thoughts and plans straight as well, not to mention, these questions bring out factors that i at times overlook.

If anything of the above was poorly written or a bit confusing, i apologize before hand...its late and ive worked for over over 10 hours today :lol:
jpoisson

Post by jpoisson »

It sounds great, I was just making sure your not doing this for the wrong reasons. Looking forward to seeing the final result.. oh will it be in flash or HTML5/CSS3 or HTML4/CSS2.1 ?

The reason why I am asking is because I am just wondering if your going to keep with updated standards?
Laguages:
PHP, MYSQL, (X)HTML, HTML5, JQuery, CSS 3.0,
C, C#, C++, Python, Pascal, Perl, Ruby, Turing

Software:
Adobe MC CS4, Visual Studio 2008, Notepad++,
NetBeans IDE, WAMPSERVER

Browsers:
Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome
(Always have latest patches for browsers.)

Free time:
meatball

Post by meatball »

Its being developed in 100% valid (W3C) XHTML Transitional through an SEO CMS and template. :)
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

nice answers and I too look forward to the site. The more indie-communities to help each other the better.
MAruz

Post by MAruz »

jpoisson wrote:It sounds great, I was just making sure your not doing this for the wrong reasons. Looking forward to seeing the final result.. oh will it be in flash or HTML5/CSS3 or HTML4/CSS2.1 ?

The reason why I am asking is because I am just wondering if your going to keep with updated standards?
I've looked some at HTML5, but it looks to be allot more beneficial to go for that standard if you're working allot with media files (videos, sound). If you stick to HTML4 strict as I usually do, there's little difference. Of course, the new container types are interesting, but I've just done divs and spans as usual so far.

I've not looked any into CSS3 though.
PHP, Java, JavaScript, HTML, CSS, XML, MySQL / Oracle
Photoshop, Illustrator
www.cuddly-zombie.com
meatball

Post by meatball »

CSS 3 is pretty rad, it can do some very handy stuff, but the cross-browser compatibility is rather lacking atm.

/onTopic

Im hoping to have the full design completed within the next couple of weeks. Its coming along great, Im sure you guys are going to love it :)
AverageJoe

Post by AverageJoe »

Wow, The site looks very nice and stylish! Don't forget to credit the great meaball for your site design. Since he made it all. D: P.S, I signed up for the email when the site opens! And yes, IM GOING OT EVERY THREAD YOU MADE AND SAYING THIS. :D

Return to “WebSite”