NWE Module / Core Changes

General Chat, Comments
gmoore

NWE Module / Core Changes

Post by gmoore »

Okay, our copyright attorney (yes we have one) has noted that we need to create a submission agreement for our users. This will need to be used for any non-bug fix code submitted to us on behalf of the Core NWE code or Core Modules (those written by Alain but now owned by FunMayhem/Greg Moore). This agreement (when completed) will essentially state that all submissions are under the copyright held by FunMayhem.com/Greg Moore. If you want to retain copyright to any code please do not email it to us.

All copyrighted code from the 1.1.8 release (and prior) was transferred to Greg Moore (dba as FunMayhem.com). We retain all copyrights.

This will not affect code submitted to the marketplace. Note: This new agreement will include the rights of module writers who we really want to be included properly.

We just want to make all of this professional and do not want any hard feelings in the future. Code posted to Indie-Resource forums is (as far as we know) still copyright of the authors. We will not change core code (unless a bug fix) without an agreement with the poster/submitter of the change.

Please address questions here or NWE@funmayhem.com. Much more to come.

Thanx!
Greg
Running a game is like riding a bike ... well it should be!

New Worlds Engine / FunMayhem.com
Helping you get your game concept up and running. Now.
KyleMassacre

Re: NWE Module / Core Changes

Post by KyleMassacre »

So basically if we send you a snippet of code as an improvement to existing source outside the modules directory (including modules made by yourself or Alain inside the module directory) you retain sole rights to the copyright? Seems reasonable and you can keep the burden of the majority haha.

Besides, I wouldn't think that but us submitting a patch what so ever would warrant a copyright change to begin with unless I rewrote the entire file. And in the case one of were to rewrite a file, this basically means you still hold the copyright, correct? Again, I think it's reasonable.

One question though, are we going to have to do some sort of e-sig for this? I think that would be best to avoid any confusion
gmoore

Post by gmoore »

This is not ominous or anything. I was talking over changes people might want to any of the software. Like the combat module recently brought up or our putting any public code on GitHub (GitBucket). I just didn't want any confusion.

The process will be an e-sign or a public statement with the code. Trying to determine that.

Just another task for me to do. :shock:

Greg

gmoore

Post by gmoore »

I did a presentation at a software engineering course tonight at Syracuse University. New Worlds Engine was used as an example of a software development enterprise. I really hope someone was recording. My wife didn't think to do it.

Questions asked (paraphrased):
1) How do you keep a small user base engaged? Forums, new code, involving them, trying to make things better.
2) Do you think the end product is worth the long hours? Freaking yes.
3) If you give out source code, how do you protect it? Trust in users, trust in copyright laws and value in participating in the community.
4) Why would you do something so simple? Because I think no one does it well. I want to do it well.
5) Aren't browser games old school? I started with Play By Mail, that is old school. Entry into the market for our users is far less steep than an Android/IPhone game. We can have you up and running in minutes.
6) How do I help? Get involved.

Fun fun fun!
Thank you Kevin for setting this up!
Greg

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Wow great answers! As I have mentioned before there is a huge market still for this. I love the involvement here and watching it grow even bigger is great. As always if you ever need anything from me just let me know and very anxious for the future.
KyleMassacre

Post by KyleMassacre »

I too am very excited for what the future brings and can't wait to see. I have some ideas in the works to get a game going once I get some time to dedicate to it and maybe with a hopefully solid game we can show what this engine actually does and show some solid proof to the answers to the questions
gmoore

Post by gmoore »

Part 2 of the presentation is next Tuesday.

All of the students (18) took away our basic business plan and strategy. They were allowed to ask questions (financial, setup, staff, etc) Their assignment was to prepare presentations as to how they would make the company able to 1) Make a stock offering 2) Expand sales/user base 3) Expand product and 4) Get noticed. Neat stuff. These are the people planning the next Google. Maybe :idea:

My son said they asked some other things and I asked him to write them up for me.

I will post the results, as best I can, next week. Interesting. Maybe useful. My only issue these days is juggling the 14 projects and timelines. I hope the new FunMayhem.com site to be up in the coming weeks.

Remember, I've wanted to do this since I've been involved in play-by-mail years ago. NWE is what I really want to do, regardless of the things in life that are perhaps more money, more successful or more available. If I hadn't have found NWE, I probably would be creating it.

Greg

gmoore

Post by gmoore »

I got an email from one student. How would you respond?

Question: How do you merge an old user base with and older user base?

Greg

KyleMassacre

Post by KyleMassacre »

Are we taking age group of the user base of the age of the user base as in a user base from 10 years ago? If the latter then it's much harder but I will assume it's age groups here.

I would say that with NWE it's extremely customizable which makes it easier to alter content to find a common denominator based on your target demographics that you have. You can change almost all of the text that has been displayed on screen with the ingame translator along with the ingame file manager inside the admin panel to change anything that is hardcoded.
gmoore

Post by gmoore »

The professor wanted to make it WebEx so our user could come on board but it is kind of early for that. Would love to do that in the future.

Greg

Return to “General”