Dot World Maker - The pixel editor

Got a project near completion? Got a project with lots of screens and media? This is the place. This is for nearly finished and Projects with lots of media.

Re: Dot World Maker - The pixel editor

Postby a_bertrand » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:12 pm

Thanks for the kind words (as always). Helps me going on ;)

Yes I thought about it, or even release that piece as open source. I was wondering if I should not actually release a couple of things as open source, like the particle system, the scripting language and others.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
a_bertrand
New Worlds Engine creator

Postby hallsofvallhalla » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:17 pm

I would not so soon, keep them as unique to your engine then later on down the road maybe release.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Jackolantern » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:09 pm

I didn't know there was a name for that pattern. Interesting stuff!

As for releasing the editor as open source, it could have side-effects of getting more people to your engine. Just be sure it is branded well, with the name of your game engine in the editor name, etc. For such a basic piece of graphical software, there is a surprising lack of decent, game-focused pixel editors designed for making retro 2D graphics. There is ProMotion of course, but that is commercial with a very poor website and store and a large learning curve. There are script sets that people install on Photoshop to make it more pixel art-focused, but again, that is an extremely commercial application that many game devs can't afford to buy outright (and I am not even sure how scripts and plugins work in the new cloud versions of Creative Suite). There is Graphics Gale which is pretty good but almost all of the documentation is in Japanese. Then finally there is a mess of open source pixel editors, most of which barely supply the baseline featureset most artists would need.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Jackolantern

Blog: View Blog (1)

Previous

Return to Project Showoff Tier II