Ruler Of Kings Text RPG

Got a project near completion? Got a project with lots of screens and media? This is the place. This is for nearly finished and Projects with lots of media.
GameMaster

Ruler Of Kings Text RPG

Post by GameMaster »

I'm an Old School Dungeon Master. One of the main things lacking from games today is they take away the imagination and hand it over to the game developer. What I've developed is a system for people to participate in creating a medieval fantasy novel with their character as the protagonist!

Check it here: https://www.RulerOfKings.com

There are plenty videos on it, here is one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEo-2bZskLM
Last edited by GameMaster on Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: Ruler Of Kings Text RPG

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Love the vid. Checking it all out now. Looks very interesting as I have just gotten back in to Roll20 but have my issues with it.
GameMaster

Post by GameMaster »

Thank you... the focus is on asynchronous play and story building which is lost from one liners.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Agreed!
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Very nice! My only real suggestion is that with a series of videos like you have, you may want to put more of an explanation of what the game actually is right up front in the first couple of minutes. You probably will not have your average visitor's attention but for 2 minutes and they will quickly want to see what type of game it is :)
The indelible lord of tl;dr
GameMaster

Post by GameMaster »

You mean like this: ROK II Youtube Channel

We used to have the trailer on the main page but temporarily took it down for our crowdfunding project: Text RPG Crowdfunding
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Honestly that confused me more than clarified what the game is. Things like "text role-playing allows you to detail your character's thoughts and actions and save it for others to see the chosen path of your character" sound good but I think it will further confuse potential players. Experienced players already know this about text-based RPGs and for new players it will feel too abstract. In a text-based game, I like to hear more about what you can be and some of the unique abilities and actions that can be used in the game. Even better if those actions sound exotic and like the type of thing you have never seen done in a graphical game. I always felt that Achaea did a great job of getting people interested and making them excited about a text-based RPG because a lot of the features, classes and skills they talk about are much more detailed and intricate than what can be accomplished in a graphical MMORPG.
GameMaster

Post by GameMaster »

Thinking about it some more, I will have to do a video like that for people who know nothing about the concept, but can't afford animations. I have a video I'm working on that I will need to introduce the concept but since ROK II is largely about reading and writing it will need to be done differently.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Maybe in the meantime you could add some additional pages to the website to explain a bit more about the game. Some visitors may not feel compelled to start a video about the game and instead just want to browse some text to read about it to get a feel for what it is. Even though the videos are short and in the end, they could probably get more out of them in less time, starting a video feels like a large commitment. Maybe some navigation links to drill down into the game ("Features", "Classes", "Cities", etc.). It will also let you inject more of the flavor of the game onto the website :)
GameMaster

Post by GameMaster »

Not sure if you've actually explored the game but there are plenty pages there. The game is already explained heavily... in fact to start and play / create a character requires running through the rules: Start, go ahead and see.
Last edited by GameMaster on Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Project Showoff Tier II”