RockStar Mmo

Got a project near completion? Got a project with lots of screens and media? This is the place. This is for nearly finished and Projects with lots of media.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: RockStar Mmo

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Hero is free now. Big World is $200 and Unity's multiplayer is the worst I have ever seen. Period. I love unity but the networking is a joke. Even attaching a third party server. You will never be happy with RC. Too many Mavs and the graphics do not hold the game. RCPro is out as it is still vaporware and even on its release there is rumors on the wind Solstar is going to drop it quite fast.

Glad to see you back around.
towcar

Post by towcar »

How is hero, I don't think I've heard of it?

Yeah Rc community has just fell, a few people think it'll re-pop because apparently they have decided to make Rc standard free but offer no support to it. Which they think will boost the community one last time.

Unity's multiplayer I got working once,I personally haven't heard of it being good for mmos, ever :P. Though the community support like definatly was very supportive!
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

I got Unitys multiplayer working but it is dirt slow and a real pain to make work properly. Never heard of the Hero Game Engine? Supposedly the best MMO engine know to man. Eh I didn't like it. Far too complicated but it is very much a AAA engine.

i found no good solution for me. Sticking with browser based games :)
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Hero Engine is the engine that powers Star Wars: The Old Republic (a highly customized version of it, but still).

How does the free version of HeroCloud work? I take it they are taking a higher percentage royalty or something? Still cool since you could start developing with no cost.

EDIT: Ahh, looked it up and they take 30% of royalties, but have no up-front fees anymore. Not bad considering the engine could cost upwards of a million dollars for a royalty-free license.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
towcar

Post by towcar »

Oh I have heard of hero nvm, herocloud through me off though.

I dunno I was thinking if Rc Standard has been left alone at a use-able level maybe I would re-do this rockstar mmo. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it still doesn't work well and is it worth the effort?

Return to “Project Showoff Tier II”