Cubicverse: reborn!

Got a project near completion? Got a project with lots of screens and media? This is the place. This is for nearly finished and Projects with lots of media.
a_bertrand

Cubicverse: reborn!

Post by a_bertrand »

I promised I would show something this week... and I will maintain it. However don't expect to be able to try it yourself as it's still too early to be really playable:

So what is it? Well, we decided to change the whole "renderer" from isometric to full 3D first person view. It's a HUGE change, as the art needs to be mostly redone or reworked at least. I also must admit this is my first 3D game ever, so I had to test things and do some work to make it even usable. However currently we are able to run at 60 FPS (not yet with all the objects nor the monsters, NPC and other players). There is also quite a few open issues, and I'm far from being happy with the textures I used so far (some are ok, some not so much).

The world will also be "smoothed" out later on, to be less minecraft like and the trees replaced with 3D objects instead of blocks.

On what works currently:
- The world is fully drawn in 3D (the blocks not the objects yet)
- Lamps are the first and only working objects
- You can walk, object collisions is the same as before so it works as well.
- You can rotate freely (too freely even) the camera
- Going down in the mines or up, or even change the map area all, work and the world is a continuous infinite 3D world
- I'm able to load textures, 3D objects and even create some via code (like the fences and the roof)
- Windows do have a glass with transparency
- There is a little fog
- There is a full spherical sky

What needs to be done:
- Finish to make all the 3D blocks (roads, rivers etc...)
- Rework all the objects and make then 3D models (with textures)
- Make the NPC and monsters visible and animated.
- Fix a couple of issues like the minimap
- Make the game engine react to clicks on the map (and detect the right position of course)

How it works:
The game code is mostly the same, I just replaced the rendering with a couple of new modules which transforms our map into 3D objects. The map is optimized (in near real time) to make it as fast as possible. The 3D is then handled by the Three.js library as I didn't wanted to write all the WebGL myself. I tried Babylon.js but found issues with it, and therefore changed to Three.js which seems a lot more stable and usable (even if it's a bit more complex to work with at start).
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: Cubicverse: reborn!

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

This is awesome!
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Thanks Hall. It's a lot of work, but I'm sure it will improve the feeling of the game, yet I need to change a few things like smooth out the world, change the tree and such otherwise we will really be too much like minecraft (as look that's it)
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

Wow. Just wow.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

This is amazing! Very nice work! :cool:
The indelible lord of tl;dr
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Very cool indeed omg, it's a shame if it ever (and it probably will) gets compared to minecraft*, but i wish you the best of luck man ;)

PS*: I say this not saying your game is worst than minecraft, i mean the two shouldn't be compared just yet.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

What is becoming of the old engine? You had so much work done in it
The indelible lord of tl;dr
srachit

Post by srachit »

wow you never fail to amaze me alain
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Yes the game will be compared to Minecraft even more... that's why I plan to smooth out the world (making "triangles" between the terrain levels) and replace the trees with 3D objects. That should reduce this block world effect.

The old engine is mostly still there. It's just the rendering part which has been replaced. So basically I will drop about 650 lines of code over the 22'000 lines of the full game. Not such a huge lost in my opinion.

And thanks guys for all the kind words. I hope that at the end the result will be nice ;)
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

The end result doesn't need to be nice, because the middle already is, what it needs is to be BEAST!! And I'm sure it will be!

22k lines :O Wow. My village wars game (not completed) based on halls tutorials for the mmorpg, had 10k :lol: but I still used to do:

Code: Select all

$query = "SELECT * FROM `players`"
$query2 = mysql_query($query);
$query3 = mysql_fetch_array($query2);
So i guess it's not fair to count as 10k :D

Good luck.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Return to “Project Showoff Tier II”