Falling Blocks

Got a project near completion? Got a project with lots of screens and media? This is the place. This is for nearly finished and Projects with lots of media.
sonte

Falling Blocks

Post by sonte »

Hello everyone, I wanted to show off my "blocks" game here. The graphics are nothing special, and I did end up dropping the global high score options in favor of not over complicating the back end. Please let me know what you think.

game : Falling Blocks
Callan S.

Re: Falling Blocks

Post by Callan S. »

Very neatly implemented. I got to 160.

Maybe there could be a reward of some kind for when you drop the blocks down the screen quickly?
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Very nice and well-polished! It even auto-pauses on changing tabs, which is a great touch.

Nice job here! :cool:
The indelible lord of tl;dr
sonte

Post by sonte »

I think the pause feature might actually be something of chrome and not my game. I noticed it too, but there is nothing in my code to do that. :lol:
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

sonte wrote:I think the pause feature might actually be something of chrome and not my game. I noticed it too, but there is nothing in my code to do that. :lol:
Interesting lol. Did you use some kind of engine? Because I know JS isn't automatically paused when you change tabs, even in Chrome. Otherwise chat-type services would not work correctly.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

impact, melon, and a few others auto pause.

Some suggestions
The game is really slow in the beginning. I was at 600 points and still at level 1 and super slow. Very easy to just keep going and going.
Make some noise and celebrations when taking more than 1 line. I find no difference in points when getting 5 lines at once or 5 lines in 1 liners.

Overall very nice job!
sonte

Post by sonte »

Jackolantern wrote:
sonte wrote:I think the pause feature might actually be something of chrome and not my game. I noticed it too, but there is nothing in my code to do that. :lol:
Interesting lol. Did you use some kind of engine? Because I know JS isn't automatically paused when you change tabs, even in Chrome. Otherwise chat-type services would not work correctly.

Nope, but I did use setTimout instead of request animationframe.

And Halls thx for the suggestions. I will make the lvl progression faster and look into some type of overlay graphics for more lines.

Return to “Project Showoff Tier II”