Cubicverse: early access

Got a project near completion? Got a project with lots of screens and media? This is the place. This is for nearly finished and Projects with lots of media.

Re: Cubicverse: early access

Postby kaos78414 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:51 am

I actually like the art style, but maybe I'm weird. I'm going to have to find time to take this for a spin, it's pretty impressive! :)
w00t
kaos78414

Postby a_bertrand » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:18 am

Thanks Kaos, many on steam actually have negative comments on the style or think we are doing a poor copycat of secondlife, minecraft, runescape or whatever else. Interesting than instead of checking what the game actually is, they just vote negatively. I was even more surprised that some people got angry on the "fremium" model. Shall we make it full payed? I doubt. So if you don't accept that the servers need to be payed and maybe some advertisement or outsourcing like music and art, then... I hardly see how people can expect anything for free.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
a_bertrand
New Worlds Engine creator

Postby Jackolantern » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:12 pm

a_bertrand wrote:Thanks Kaos, many on steam actually have negative comments on the style or think we are doing a poor copycat of secondlife, minecraft, runescape or whatever else. Interesting than instead of checking what the game actually is, they just vote negatively. I was even more surprised that some people got angry on the "fremium" model. Shall we make it full payed? I doubt. So if you don't accept that the servers need to be payed and maybe some advertisement or outsourcing like music and art, then... I hardly see how people can expect anything for free.

Online gamers are a notoriously vicious bunch. The negativity is the most vocal.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Jackolantern

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby a_bertrand » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:43 am

Well, you know, it's so easy to flame somebody else work, while giving a true feedback, thinking about what the other did takes time and reflection ;)
a_bertrand

Postby Jackolantern » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:25 pm

a_bertrand wrote:Well, you know, it's so easy to flame somebody else work, while giving a true feedback, thinking about what the other did takes time and reflection ;)

It is partially that, but that covers critique with most forms of media. Games have it a bit rougher because they at least appear more subjective. Academia has broken down and cataloged lists of points that make films, books and even music "good". Games don't have that really. There are theories, but nothing conclusive or actionable. But beyond that it is all very personal. And in many cases, the players don't know how to express what they want or may even want contradictory things ("I want games very challenging but not frustrating"). Mix that in with an unhealthy dose of Internet culture, which can sometimes prize complaining and vitriolic opinion, and you have a hurricane that has broken many game devs in the past and will continue into the future. Indie devs have it particularly rough, since we are always working with a much smaller pool of resources, so often our scope and aesthetics can't match the AAA games that many of these players are used to.

Just keep your head up, realize that there will be a vocal negative base to terrorize you with any large game project, but focus on the positive. :)
Jackolantern

Postby a_bertrand » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:14 am

Don't worry, it's not my first internet project and I do know already that you actually get a lot of negative feedback. Honestly, I use steam as advertisement platform more than anything else.
a_bertrand

Postby Jackolantern » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:08 pm

Probably a good way to look at it :)
Jackolantern

Postby a_bertrand » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:25 pm

Loads of changes (not sure what I already said and what not, but here is the list I believe since my last update):
Added map dynamics, which allows the map to change based to some conditions like quest, position, or what the player wears (just as example, but the list is much bigger). That may allow to open doors, build bridge, make a castle grow over time, or explode, make magical steps and much more.

Added NPC dynamic, allowing to remove NPC from the map or make them appear on some conditions, let the NPC walk over a path, or have an exclamation or question mark above the head.

Added player info panels, let you click on players, and grab info about them (on the online list of the chat currently but will be possible on the map too).

Added new items, and implemented items requirements. Now some items have stats requirements before you can wear them.

Game layout has been improved, and the chat bar is gone replaced with a transparent / overlay chat. The minimap has been moved as well and work on the minimap is going on which will let you see a wider area around you if you click on it.

Direct trade via the messaging system is now possible, you can attach soul energy (the currency) or request soul energy as well as send items. For example, if you attach items and request soul energy, the receiver will not get the items unless he/she pay you the requested amount.

Top player lists visible on the home page.

Wiki help is now available from the home page as well.

Beside that, a lot of small polishing is going on, as well as new quests have been implemented.
a_bertrand

Postby a_bertrand » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:47 am

Here is what I will start to work on soon:
preview.png
preview.png (4.44 KiB) Viewed 1224 times

Any guess what the feature will be?

BTW Did I told you how much I love ZBrush and Modo 701? Even if I'm not a master, I still manage to do what I have in mind (with a mixed quality), so for me it's simply amazing. Until a couple of years ago, before I purchased ZBrush and Modo had all the latest features, I was simply not able to get such quality for characters.
a_bertrand

Postby tourmaline » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:42 pm

Only 10 months? that's pretty cool! Haven't played it yet, but I will the next chance I get.
tourmaline

PreviousNext

Return to Project Showoff Tier II