A Strategic 4X Space Game

Got a project near completion? Got a project with lots of screens and media? This is the place. This is for nearly finished and Projects with lots of media.

Re: A Strategic 4X Space Game

Postby mahks » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:30 pm

Yes I am still lurking here. :D

Acquired some excellent play testers and have been fine-tuning the game. It was decided that we would reset the game, but have a grand intergalactic war to finish off the current one. War is such an expensive option there had been very little of it and the new players had not "got a taste of it". So it was agreed there would be a war. Some of the non-PvP oriented players wished to remain neutral, but this was not recognized by some, causing those players to abdicate and wait for the next game.

This got me thinking about the proverbial problem for multi-player games that wish to include non-PvP oriented players. Been tinkering with the concept of "The Brotherhood". The brotherhood will be a way for players to opt out of some of the PvP in the game. Players joining the brotherhood become acolytes. In the points below "prestige" can be thought of as victory points.

Hierarchy :

Acolyte - May create, join or renounce a sect
    Bishop - A sect member, their realm becomes a diocese.
    Hegumen - A sect member having the dedication of at least one bishop. Prestige is gained.
    Archimandrite - Leader of a sect (voted to position by the sect Hegumen).

Brotherhood Features :

- May opt in at any time, may not leave for the duration of the game.
    - Acolyte fleets are still vulnerable to attack, and may attack.
    - Acolytes may not own bombers, cruisers, battleships, dreadnoughts or guardians.
    - Acolytes are still vulnerable to covert ops by agents and may have active agents.
    - Acolytes may not have vassals or a sovereign.
    - Acolytes may build level 4 and higher temples (non-brotherhood realms may only build up to level 3 temples.
    - Level 4 temples prevent bombardment.
    - Temples generate devotion, which translates into voting power and prestige for the diocese.
    - Non-brotherhood realms may choose to join a diocese (the realm retains non-brotherhood status) . Devotion from domestic temples is then gained by the bishop. Prestige gained by this relationship.

So being a member of the Brotherhood does not exempt one from all PvP, only the most destructive, that being the bombardment and destruction of structures on stars. It also introduces another cross-current in the game that will, I hope, generate more diplomatic situations.

The Brotherhood has not been implemented yet, we are still hashing out the details.
Diplomacy, Trade & Conquest in the 4th Millenium

http://www.starlords3k.com
mahks

Postby mahks » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:59 pm

Torax wrote:I will give it a try on my test pc later today which has firefox installed, but I will not install firefox on my current operating system even though I love space games. It may be a pain to make your site cross browser compatible, but it's definitely worth the player base. You don't necessarily have to support IE, but you should definitely support the latest chrome, safari, and opera as well. Safari and now the latest version of opera are both using webkit as a backbone, therefore most if not all of what you fix for chrome will automatically work in safari as well as the latest opera so I highly recommend doing this or at least giving it a try.

Started trying to get Chrome to run the game, but ran into a major bug. Seems Chrome has issues with iFrame visibility. As far as I can see, I would have to do a major re-write to purge the iFrames the game is based on.

If you want to see the problem, load the site, click the Chrome logo in lower left. Go to the forum. You will see many iFrames are displayed on top of each other. If you "Inspect" those iFrames with DevTools, you will see they have their visibility property set to "Hidden". I need to used "visibility", not "Display" as display collapses the dimensions of an object,whereas visibility does not.

Hey just tried this again, and DevTools is telling me that "hidden" is an invalid setting for visibility!

mahks

Postby mahks » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:09 pm

Sharlenwar wrote:...4X is an amazing style of gameplay, just needs to be implemented into a full multiplayer environment, as single-player doesn't work.

Agree 100%, this is what I am attempting to do.

Sharlenwar wrote:In a way I miss those old play by email games.

StarLords3K does recreate some aspects of pbem, mainly the sense of anticipation.
Getting your pbem move results was great fun, ... what happened? were you victorious or...

Anticipation is caused by the need to wait for an event to happen.
When events happen continuously, there is no room for anticipation.
Having the right type of delay in a game can create anticipation.

mahks

Postby Jackolantern » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:22 pm

This is very impressive, and it sounds like a very deep game. I will check it out, although I have little-to-no 4X experience lol.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Jackolantern

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Sharlenwar » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:10 pm

Not sure how finalized your non-PvP idea is, but an idea would be to have certain areas that allow PvP and others that don't. So the regular areas could be non-PvP, then the further out and areas that contain rare resources could be PvP enabled.

Then again, I need to try out your game to see how it plays. :D
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG
Sharlenwar

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby mahks » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:54 pm

Sharlenwar wrote:Then again, I need to try out your game to see how it plays. :D

Yes, you do :P

We just started a new scenario so now would be a good time to jump in!
Last edited by mahks on Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mahks

Postby mahks » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:06 pm

Sharlenwar wrote:Not sure how finalized your non-PvP idea is, but an idea would be to have certain areas that allow PvP and others that don't. So the regular areas could be non-PvP, then the further out and areas that contain rare resources could be PvP enabled.

Not finalized at all, still compiling ideas, thanks for yours. Will be coding the brotherhood this summer.

I am hoping to have both types of players intermixed, so they can inter-relate with game mechanics that give each some advantage.
The idea would be to increase diplomatic situations.

For example sect (A) is losing devotion to another, sect (B) because of an expanding non-brotherhood realm (X) who is in the diocese of sect B.
Since sect A cannot attack realm X they must get another PvP realm to do it.
Or offer incentive for realm X to join their diocese.

mahks

Postby SpiritWebb » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:31 am

This is looking great!! Impressed!! Keep it coming...

SpiritWebb
Rockywood Studios

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby mahks » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:47 am

Here is an update :

Main new features are :
- May now design ships.
- Diplomacy & trade with Independent stars (NPCs)

Graphics have improved marginally, I updated the images in the first post.

The main bug in Chrome that was holding me back has been squashed, so Chrome now runs the game about 98%.
Still some issues with canvas and the odd difference FF & Chrome deal with default values.
Last edited by mahks on Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mahks

Postby hallsofvallhalla » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:38 am

Very nice!
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (3)

PreviousNext

Return to Project Showoff Tier II