WsIRC V.2.0

Got a project near completion? Got a project with lots of screens and media? This is the place. This is for nearly finished and Projects with lots of media.
a_bertrand

WsIRC V.2.0

Post by a_bertrand »

Hi there,

From my many projects, I made some time ago (actually quiet a few years ago) a full web IRC client, which would not be too far from mibbit. However at that time I coded it in C# / ASP.NET and ran it on a Linux box... bad bad choice. Mono on linux (the .NET framework for non windows) is not stable, and got way too many issues. I had to close it down a couple of weeks ago and rewrote it using node.js, socket.io

As I just deployed, I can't talk about stability, but it should not be worse than what I had with mod_mono / mono... hopefully.

To test it:
http://www.wsirc.com/

Will try to squash a couple more issues and finish to implement the missing things over the week. Anyhow feedback / questions are welcome ;)
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
Jackolantern

Re: WsIRC V.2.0

Post by Jackolantern »

Wow, very cool! And yeah, while I do love .NET, I just don't trust the Mono project. IIS or nothing for .NET for me.

Very nice indeed!
The indelible lord of tl;dr
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Well, I cannot trust Mono anymore, I tried it nearly on everything, and nothing worked as it should. Not only the performances are slugish compared to true .NET, it's also way unstable. I don't care if the issue is the garbage colector or this and that lib, the end result is always poor.

At work I use Windows 2008 R2 servers to host my web apps, but for my hobbies, Linux was the way to go.
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Working on file uploads yet, as wsirc had an image sharing tool embedded, and for me it was a really useful feature ;)
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Added black list checks and image upload. Image upload took me actually much more time than planned. Could be my lack of knowledge of node.js or... the oddies of node.js itself.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

This is very nice. I would like to have a chit chat IRC for IR at some point just for those at work or school who can get on and shoot the sh*t
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Well it's extremely easy to integrate wsirc with any website, as you can define which server to contact, which channel, even decide the default username format or a full username.
Like:
http://www.wsirc.com/?username=a_bertra ... =%23E0E0E0

The color parameter is not yet re-implemented but will. So either you link it to a new window or you inside an iframe.
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Fixed a couple of bugs, now wsirc seems to be rock solid thanks to node.js. I was somewhat skeptic, but it does seems to work well, and very fast. Overall the experience seems good.

If you need help to integrate it inside IR, let me know, I can help you.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

That sounds good to me, but Halls would need to make the final call on that. It definitely sounds interesting, particularly with the IRC talk in the podcast thread! :cool:
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

sounds good.. you need a ftp folder on the site or just send me the files or what?

Return to “Project Showoff Tier II”