Head Pong!

Got a project near completion? Got a project with lots of screens and media? This is the place. This is for nearly finished and Projects with lots of media.
jeffreybiles

Head Pong!

Post by jeffreybiles »

My friends and I created this game in 48 hours for a coding challenge. It's a multiplayer game of pong and you use your webcam and your head to block the bouncing fireball. Requires chrome, opera, or the nightly version of firefox.

Video here: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wvJyhW-dPc[/youtube]
Game here: http://handofpong.com

For the technically inclined, we used:
node.js
websockets
browserify
express
Jackolantern

Re: Head Pong!

Post by Jackolantern »

Haha! Very creative and cool game! I played it for quite a while :D

Are you going to continue developing it, or are you moving on to something else?
The indelible lord of tl;dr
jeffreybiles

Post by jeffreybiles »

Haha, thanks :D We were pretty giddy with the idea as well.

I spent another 24-hour cycle fixing some lag problems (reducing ping rate, hacking together my own client-side prediction), but aside from that I'm done with it.

However, it will be open-sourced soon, so if you want to make a head-controlled breakout or something like that, be my guest!
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Very cool! I didn't even know you could access the webcam through HTML5, but it was something I didn't think I had the need for so far. But this is really cool, and maybe even gives me a few ideas on novel uses for webcam access :D

I wonder how long before someone tries to create a quasi-Kinect type framework for HTML5. That could be really cool! :cool:
jeffreybiles

Post by jeffreybiles »

A kinect-style framework would indeed by awesome! My friend was the one who programmed the camera so I'm not up on that part, but I do know there were some tools available... he was able to do everything in javascript and not touch the underlying code.

The protocol is called (I believe) webRTC, and it's available in firefox nightly, chrome, and opera. I'm sure safari and regular firefox will get it soon and IE will support it in 5 years or so.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

It will be quite cool when it hits the front-facing cameras in mobile browsers ;)
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

Awesome!

jeffreybiles

Post by jeffreybiles »

Thanks, SpiritWebb.

Jackolantern, that would be insanely awesome! I predict apple dragging their heels because apps == money, but I could see android doing that in the next year. Exciting times to be a web programmer!
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Very kewl!
jeffreybiles

Post by jeffreybiles »

It's now open source! Check out our github repository: https://github.com/nko3/head-pong

Return to “Project Showoff Tier II”