Technarhia - Steampunk MMO

Got a project near completion? Got a project with lots of screens and media? This is the place. This is for nearly finished and Projects with lots of media.
Nihilant

Technarhia - Steampunk MMO

Post by Nihilant »

Hi guys. Haven't been writing much (or at all lol) since I joined last year, but nevertheless I've been working very hard on this game :)

So in a nutshell it's a steampunk MMO game, where players build their airships, use them to combat other players and their bases (called Habitats), using espionage missions to weaken them or steal stuff etc. Core concept in the game engine are 'Traits' which are giving bonuses to different attributes throughout the game screens and are produced and combined to fit the actual needs of the player at the moment. Eight political movements are grouping the players, and are set against one another for conquering the territory and getting resource extraction bonuses. Well, much more to it, but that's for short. Game is open-ended, no reset, and is rather dynamic and fluid - with powers shifting rapidly as players cooperate and retaliate.

Game is made in Flash, with php for communication with database. Rather simple engine, open for updating (for example there are 600 traits in the first testing phase, will be easily upped to 1200 and can always add more!).

Here are some screenshots of the gameplay. I'm sorry I'm not inviting you guys to test-play it, but it's on free hosting and already have enough testers. As soon as I get real server deal, I'll certainly announce the official start here :)

1. Workshop screen: building new Traits, designing and testing (building) Airships

2. Airships screen 1: a view of a selected airship (ship's parts depend on ship's attributes and have many combinations)

3. Airships screen 2: 'Move' command about to be given to a ship (circle highlighted yellow will be new position of a ship when it's done moving)

4. Airships screen 3: 'Turn' command about to be given. The big things you see around airship are two Habitats of other players (colors for different political movements)

5. Airships screen 4: 'Fire' started: missiles flying to designated area (hitting Habitat).

6. Airships screen 5: actual moving (with 'progress bar' loading). It's not real-time game, but has some animations to give a player a 'feel' of timely actions.

7. Espionage screen: just after an agent has been sent on a mission.

8. Politics screen: comparing some movements, displaying stats, etc.

9. Messages screen: reading an Espionage mission resolution.

10. World Map screen: showing 4 Planes (as 'rings'), 31 Territory, and listing some info on each Sector of the clicked Territory.

11. Calendar screen: displaying Seasons, which affect resource extraction and lethality of combat.

I'll also write up the very process of making this game, to give some idea to other starting developers about what helped me, what didn't, how I went about doing the concept, planning etc.
OldRod

Re: Technarhia - Steampunk MMO

Post by OldRod »

Very nice work!

I would love to see some 'behind-the-scenes' writeups or videos on this. :)
Nihilant

Post by Nihilant »

Here, just made a video of a gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po8zGp51jwY
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

How many people on your team?
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

Very nice work!

Sharlenwar

Post by Sharlenwar »

Wow, I'm impressed. Great job!
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
***NEW***GrindFest - My own PHP/MySQL game!
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Yes, very nice! The graphics look wonderful, and it looks quite unique, too :)
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Nihilant

Post by Nihilant »

Thanks, guys, means a lot!
Callan S. wrote:How many people on your team?
I have two other people writing descriptions of Traits (part of 'Library' section which is like Game Manual) but whole coding, designing, modelling and concept is my work. (Except images of people representing Political Movements - which are real persons from XIX Century.)
Nihilant

Post by Nihilant »

Sorry for double-posting, here's the "Behind the scenes" text:
http://indie-resource.com/forums/viewto ... =28&t=5381

More like a list of my ideas and hints for newbie developers (like myself xD)
Gustava

Post by Gustava »

Sounds, and looks, pretty cool.

And I can def. relate to you from your post about shift in power where games have "Do not attack anyone, you're too weak!". Latest project I have been working on gives the little guys a chance to do something as well.

Some good information there if anyone skipped reading it :)

Return to “Project Showoff Tier II”