Galactic Combatant - Made With Java

Got a project near completion? Got a project with lots of screens and media? This is the place. This is for nearly finished and Projects with lots of media.
Baseball435

Galactic Combatant - Made With Java

Post by Baseball435 »

Hey everyone, so I have been working with java for over a year now and created this game in about 12 hours all together (with distractions :p)

The link to the website that I put up is: http://jonsgames.comule.com/ and I made it an applet so you dont have to download it or anything, you run it straight in the browser but there is a downloadable version and if you want it just comment on here that you do. The game overall is brand new so there might be some glitches and I know that their are glitches with the applet version which I will have to fix.

This game was made in Java by me and I used a game engine I created to make this. If you want the source code sent me a PM and if recognize your name in the forum, maybe ill send you it if im in a good mood ;P

So yeah, feedback?

If the site is under construction then here is the desktop version: http://www.mediafire.com/?g40ry66ltf88s9p

~Baseball435
Last edited by Baseball435 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jackolantern

Re: Galactic Combatant - Made With Java

Post by Jackolantern »

Ahhh, snap...under review!

If you are consistently making games and posting them, it sounds like it is time to invest in real web hosting. There are perks to it: having your own domain makes you both more memorable (people can tell their friends) and it makes people more likely to download and run executables, which almost no one will do from a free web host unless they specifically know you.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Baseball435

Post by Baseball435 »

Crap, alright I put the desktop version in the thread. And yeah I know I just don't have the money to pay for a host and I dont know how I would get income to pay the upkeep :/

Desktop Version: http://www.mediafire.com/?g40ry66ltf88s9p
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

It costs me $19 for my VPS a month, and $12/year for the domain, but then again I own 2 domains, so $24/year for those!

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

it cost me $60 a year for my webhost that can host unlimited websites.
Baseball435

Post by Baseball435 »

But dont you have to buy a domain too, how much is that?
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Very cool! I like it :)

One thing that would be nice is to get a choice to possibly use the left and right keys to move the ship, as it is a bit awkward to both shoot and move the ship with the same hand, and still feels strange to move with the left hand and shoot with the right. Also, the enemy ships seem to kill me when they hit my bounding box, and not actually hitting me. It makes the game feel kind of terse and unforgiving. But still a great start!

What did you use to make this? I am very unfamiliar with game development in Java.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Baseball435

Post by Baseball435 »

Yeah I have to make the bounding boxes smaller, that's an easy fix. And I used only the normal java API. No extra libraries or anything. The only thing I used was a game library (that I created using only the java API) to help load things faster and keep things more organized. It's similar to the Xna methods but my methods are: create, load, update, and draw. All pretty self explanatory
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

Baseball435 wrote:But dont you have to buy a domain too, how much is that?
It depends on who you go through. I believe through GoDaddy the domain is free! Don't quote me on that, as I am not sure. But I went with a virtual private server as to opposed a shared service, which I think is what indie is on, again don't quote me on that either, but with the issues Halls has stated about GoDaddy, I went elsewhere and wanted to be sure they could host games, and mmo's if we so decided, mine will. Just the only catch, you go over your bandwidth allowment, then its $.40/1gb used. I paid $12 for the domain, and pay that each year, but since I have 2, its $24/year. And VPS is $19/month, which is what I had to pay up front!

You can check out mine: Datarealm

Baseball435

Post by Baseball435 »

19 dollars a month for a vps is pricey but then again I might not need something like that although I want to learn how to create a game server and client so two people can, for example, move around a picture on the screen. There are like no tutorials on that though but it's my ultimate goal to accomplish. I already know how to make like a chat server and client but for a game i don't know an efficient way to pass data to all of the clients connected

Return to “Project Showoff Tier II”