Java Chat Room

Got a project near completion? Got a project with lots of screens and media? This is the place. This is for nearly finished and Projects with lots of media.
Baseball435

Java Chat Room

Post by Baseball435 »

Hey everyone, so i recently got an Ebook on Java programming and have been reading that for a little while though. It had a section on network programming and I decided to skip ahead and look at that. The section practically showed how to make a basic server and client where the server would respond to a single client when they typed in certain string. So i made my own server and client and made the client a JFrame (Which i had to learn to make this). After thinking about and figuring out how to send information to multiple clients, I created this chat room...

[youtubehd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyxdkNx4_OQ[/youtubehd]

So yeah, what you guys think? :)

~baseball435
Ark

Re: Java Chat Room

Post by Ark »

It's amazing, nice job!
Orgullo Catracho
Baseball435

Post by Baseball435 »

Idk if amazing is the word for it but thank you! :) it's the first java application I've made using JFrames :)
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Very nice! What book is it if you don't mind me asking? As it turns out, I am actually working on Java a bit too so I can either write my own socket server, or at least be able to customize something like Electroserver (which is obviously written in Java as well) for HTML5 web games made with an engine.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Baseball435

Post by Baseball435 »

It's called: Big java: compatible with Java 5, 6, and 7, 4th edition. It's actually a really really reallyyy good book for java, over 1000 pages and explains everything with no compile errors. I'm actually in a java class for school and instead of giving everyone the actual book, our teacher bought/got (idk how he got so many) us all a code for the ebook. Then we downloaded and signed up for a program called vitalsource and it download the book onto our computers. I also have it on my iPod touch because there is a vital source app which is pretty awesome. I don't know the exact place he got the ebook though so I can't help you on that :/
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Thanks! Is it aimed at first-time programmers, or people who are already familiar with another language? For example, does it spend a whole chapter explaining what a variable is, and stuff like that?
Baseball435

Post by Baseball435 »

Yeah its beginner friendly but thats only a little part of the book. Like it will talk about variables in one section but in one chapter there are like 8 sections. So in the chapter that explains variables, it also explains types, objects, methods, functions, and then a few others. It explains everything really well too.

If you need any help just let me know!
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I actually knew Java fairly well a long time ago, but I have been surprised so far with how much I have forgotten after using C# for so long. I didn't even remember Java does not support operator overloading, structures, and a few other things that C# has that make it more like C++.
Baseball435

Post by Baseball435 »

Yeah Java is a little lower powered but its still a great language. Personally, after creating this chat box, I think that it is the best language to use sockets in. They are so simple to make and understand
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

Very nice...great work!

Return to “Project Showoff Tier II”