Simple Pokemon Matching Game

Got a project near completion? Got a project with lots of screens and media? This is the place. This is for nearly finished and Projects with lots of media.
Jackolantern

Simple Pokemon Matching Game

Post by Jackolantern »

I created a simple free web host account at 000webhost today that will be the site of some of the Flash games I make as I get better with using it as a game platform! As of right now, all that is up is the first full game I have made with Flash thus far, a very simple Pokemon Matching (aka Memory) Game! It is pretty much no frills lol. There is no sound effects, and you have to refresh the page to play again when you complete it, but it is likely as far as I am going to take it. Well, it may be worth a minute or two look if you are bored!

No Frills Pokemon Matching Game
The indelible lord of tl;dr
62896dude

Re: Simple Pokemon Matching Game

Post by 62896dude »

Really, great job!! I kept playing it over... and over... and over... hahahaha, really though, well done, keep it up!

(My best score was 23 :P )
Languages: C++, C#, Javascript + Angular, PHP
Programs: Webstorm 2017, Notepad++, Photoshop
Current Project: HP Destiny
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Thank you :)

And wow, you did a lot better than me. I used to have a great memory, but it slipped away from me for some reason not too long ago. My best score right now is I think about 30 lol.
Xaleph

Post by Xaleph »

Good job, works OK :)

One thing: if you managed to select a set, you still have to click one more time for them to disappear. No big problem, but maybe automate that? Trigger an event to hide them?
spawnfestis

Post by spawnfestis »

Xaleph wrote:Good job, works OK :)

One thing: if you managed to select a set, you still have to click one more time for them to disappear. No big problem, but maybe automate that? Trigger an event to hide them?
I agree.
I understand this is a basic game and pretty hastily done - but wouldn't it be a bit more exciting if you could see all the score you get, popping up, and the transition from cards make it look like they actually turn around? It boosts the excitement a bit.

Also, I didn't fully understand the score system, but if it is like - 2 in a row grants you 1x more extra points - then you could make a small graphical update for that as well, so that you will recognize when you're doing well and when you're not doing all too well.

=)
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Thanks for the feedback :) Yeah, it is pretty basic. I am actually not going to keep working on it, just because the kind of game makes it pretty limited. My main purpose in making it was just to experiment with manipulating MovieClips in code, which I think was a success. I will probably devote time to working on a game that is more complex and that people are more likely to actually play than this one :) Basically, it is time to step it up a notch lol.
spawnfestis

Post by spawnfestis »

Jackolantern wrote:Thanks for the feedback :) Yeah, it is pretty basic. I am actually not going to keep working on it, just because the kind of game makes it pretty limited. My main purpose in making it was just to experiment with manipulating MovieClips in code, which I think was a success. I will probably devote time to working on a game that is more complex and that people are more likely to actually play than this one :) Basically, it is time to step it up a notch lol.
When I first started with some AS3 (assuming it is AS3 you're coding in), then you should make an Asteroids remake. It's pretty easy and you can think of a lot of features you can add to it. :P

These are some of the features that were in my game;
- Lots of SCOREROIDS (little glowing things that gives you score if you obtain them)
- Heatseeking asteroids
- Powerups (I had a few that just bulked my "stats", ie. hearts for life, and bullet-powerup for my "Death Ring" ability)
- The aforementioned "Death ring" bullet ability, shoots about 50 bullets in a 0-360* direction, super-destroying every asteroids in the field
- Ship level
- Ship shop (upgrade your bullet speed, damage, lifemeter+ etc.)
- Lots of asteroids which breaks down into smaller asteroids, these are multiplied per level of your ship

I hope this gives you a few ideas..!
Oh, and if asteroids is not your thing, choose another retro game and re-make it! :)
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Thanks! That is probably where I am going to go next: a retro remake. I am going to work at a couple of experiments to make sure I can code all of the parts, and then will start on a retro game, possibly Asteroids :)
spawnfestis

Post by spawnfestis »

Jackolantern wrote:Thanks! That is probably where I am going to go next: a retro remake. I am going to work at a couple of experiments to make sure I can code all of the parts, and then will start on a retro game, possibly Asteroids :)
I hope you make Asteroids, so I can stuff you with more ideas! :lol:
Anyway, my game was kind of fun to play, even as the developer - as the game was quite challenging when the asteroids multiplier added up to like 20* you had asteroids all over the screen, which was a pretty cool motivation into trying more and more times.. there was also a highscore table. :)
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Sounds good :) I may try out Asteroids! It is definitely a bit easier on the art asset front, since all the objects from the ship to the asteroids can be made either with code or with Flash's built-in graphic tools.

Return to “Project Showoff Tier II”