World of Nyrris

Got a project near completion? Got a project with lots of screens and media? This is the place. This is for nearly finished and Projects with lots of media.
alexander19

World of Nyrris

Post by alexander19 »

After 5 months of work,I finally reached beta-testing(pffiu...time passes fast).

Firstly, I want to say a BIG THANK YOU to the entire Indie-Resource community,which helped me a lot,and without you guys I would not even start working on this game and surely not finish it.

Now for the game ...

I've created World of Nyrris using halls tutorials for the browser mmo and I used the guild system from forsaken sanctum as a base foundation for my guilds.
I will post some of the game features:

As in halls tutorial,there are 4 playable classes(Warrior,Wizard,Knight and Scout).
Each class uses its own energy form(wizard/knight > mana,warrior >rage,scout > stamina)

My stats system includes:5 primary attributes(attack,defense,strength,dexterity,intelligence),3 secondary attributes(endurance,willpower,charisma) and 2 skills(trade & lockpicking).

The guilds allow the higher ranked members to recruit other players,each guild member can donate silver from which researches can be done(right now I got only 3 researches,attack(increase the attack of all guild members by 10),defense(increases the defense _____\\_____ by 10 ) and administration(allows the recruitment of 3 new players per level).

For the map I used a normal image map separated in 6 regions.
By selecting a region,each player can explore the region(by exploring the players can achieve many things:finishing quests,finding silver coins,finding different chests which they can open with their lockpiking skill or by bashing the lock(this depends on their strength and dexterity) or they can find different secret places.

If they choose to fight,they will automaticaly engage a creature from that region(the fighting system is pretty much the same as halls used on his tutorial,with the attack and use a spell button)

The quest system includes 3 types of quests:combat(the player needs to fight a random of creatures),recover(the player needs to recover a lost item) and explore(the player must explore a resion following some clues untill he finds what the quest asks for).
The quest are repeatable,but after each 10 levels,they change: e.g:at lvl 1-10 you have to kill 5 wolves ,at lvl 11-20 you have to kill 5 gargoyles,at lvl 21-30 you have to kill 5 trolls and so on.

At each quest step(1-10,11-20,21-30 ...) there is a quest chain(formed from 3-4 quests) which does not repeat after the player finishes it.
In the inn,there is a chat too( I have to change this one,) and as for the armorshop, weaponshop and spelltrainer they are pretty much like the ones halls used on his mmo tutorial,the only difference is that I changed the layout of the table and added images for each item.

Last feature is the arena,to fight in the arena,players must join the queue and wait for someone to attack em or they can attack someone else that is inside the arena.
The pvp battle is a script that loops through 3 rounds,it doesnt matter whos hpoints drops under 0(at the end the hpoints that are under 0 will get back to 1) but who did the most damage in those 3 rounds.The winner loots 20% of the defeated silver and gains honour,while the defeated looses honour.

The player must wait 5min after each exploration,10 min after each pve fight and 30 min after each pvp fight.
An exploration takes 1 energy point and a pve battle takes 2 energy points while a pvp battle takes no energy.
Each player starts with 20 energy,and they recover 1 energy point each 30 min.

This is the game's website: http://www.worldofnyrris.com

And here are some screens:
Last edited by alexander19 on Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zyviel

Re: World of Nyrris

Post by Zyviel »

alexander19,

Very nice looking screen shots. The interface looks spacious and easy to navigate. The icons, images and backgrounds are excellent and the text is easy to read and goes well with backgrounds. Very impressive looking interface. When I get home to tonight I will take a look around your site and try out the beta.
alexander19

Post by alexander19 »

Thanks Zyviel,

If you find any bugs while testing the game,you can report them here.
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

Very nice...will take a look at it soon...when I get back home from work!

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

this looks amazing..props to you!
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

Wow, that's looking great. I kind of diverted from the tutorial early on, because I'm not a fan of the classes and equipment thing (or more exactly their exact implementation). But wow, if you follow it, customise it and add nice graphics, what a wonder! Halls should be proud he helped out with that! :)
finding different chests which they can open with their lockpiking skill or by bashing the lock(this depends on their strength and dexterity)
Is it like nethack, where you lose potions if you bash them open and set off any traps present?
The quest are repeatable,but after each 10 levels,they change: e.g:at lvl 1-10 you have to kill 5 wolves ,at lvl 11-20 you have to kill 5 gargoyles,at lvl 21-30 you have to kill 5 trolls and so on.
Just wondering if you could change the descriptor of that - like taming five wolves. You'd still use the same combat system, but treat it as having subdued and trained the wolves or such. You could also call it warning them, as in sending the gargoyles a warning instead of killing. Just adds a bit more fictional variety, while not needing any game engine change at all.

Sorry, seeing a nice game makes me think up ideas and say them :)

Trying it out, it seems you can leave a fight mid way? Also the spell screen has no back to the fight button on it. And when I tried to picklock a chest, its link was back to the map (that kind of makes sense as in I can't search again now, but I might want to fight in the area - perhaps have a link to the map and a link back to the area). Also the countdown to the next search time doesn't have a link going back (I guess the menu's there, but...). On the attack screen, atleast at my resolution, I have to scroll down to get to the attack button. It might be better if it were above the portraits? Also after exploring, when I go to a new area and try to explore, the button does nothing? The fight button, if I've already had a fight, will take me to a countdown screen. But the explore button doesn't, in a new area?

Hey, I like your count down timer - do you think you could reveal how to do it with a small tute here? :)
Last edited by Callan S. on Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fight Cycle : My latest Browser game WIP
Driftwurld : My Browser Game WIP
Philosopher Gamer : My Blog
alexander19

Post by alexander19 »

Thanks for the comments guys,

Callan,
I know what you mean with the chest thing,but I didnt made it all that complex(I may change it in the future).
Right now when you find a chest,you have 2 option:Picklock(which depends on your lockpicking skill) or Force Lock(this isnt like bashing the entire chest,just the lock..and it depends on your strength+dexterity).
As for the killing quests,I'll change their description into what you proposed.
Was thinking of making some global daily quests.
For instance I got an elf village that is deserted right now,because the bandits kidnapped the residents.
And each player will have a daily quest to save like 2 elf residents from the bandits.
When 200 residents are saved in total per global server,the elf village will get repopulated and players can acces different shops and quests...and ofcourse recieve a reward for their help.
alexander19

Post by alexander19 »

Yeap..I'm lacking a lot of BACK buttons..gonna add all those,the only thing I cant probably fix are the buttons for the fight,I'm gonna try...but cant promise.
Here is the source for the countdown :

Code: Select all

//////this calculates the difference between the time set in your players table and the current time,if the time difference is higher than zero,then the script will show that difference..in seconds/minutes/hours.
<?php
$time2 = $playerinfo3['time'] - time();

if($time2 > 0)
{
/////<span id='time'> will keep the countdown
    ?>
            <center><div style="font-weight:bold; font-size:17px">Time remaining until your next action:</div><br><span id='time'  style='text-align:left;font-size:26px; color:#300; font-weight:bold'></span></center>
                        <script type='text/javascript'>
                        v=new Date();
                        var time=document.getElementById('time');
                        function date(){
                            n=new Date();
                            //here we insert the time 
                            seconds=<?php echo $time2; ?>-Math.round((n.getTime()-v.getTime())/1000.);
                            minutes=0;
                            hours=0;
                            if(seconds<0)
                            {
                                time.innerHTML='---';
                                //use document.location if you want the user to be redirected when the countdown reaches zero
                                 document.location='map.php';
                                }
                                else
                                {
                                    if(seconds>59)
                                    {
                                        minutes=Math.floor(seconds/60); 
                                        seconds=seconds-minutes*60
                                        }
                                        if(minutes>59)
                                        {
                                            hours=Math.floor(minutes/60);
                                            minutes=minutes-hours*60
                                            } 
                                            if(seconds<10)
                                            {
                                                seconds='0'+seconds
                                                }
                                                if(minutes<10)
                                                {
                                                    minutes='0'+minutes
                                                    }
                                                time.innerHTML=' '+hours+':'+minutes+':'+seconds+'';
                                                document.title=hours+':'+minutes+':'+seconds+' Page Name';
                                                window.setTimeout('date();',999);
                                                }
                                                }
                                                date();
                                                </script>
<?php
}
?>
I didnt create this countdown,just got it and modified it a little.
Last edited by alexander19 on Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
alexander19

Post by alexander19 »

Callan S. wrote:Also after exploring, when I go to a new area and try to explore, the button does nothing?
This was bugged in 3 areas..dragons lair/ruined castle and troll cave,but its fixed now.
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

That timer script is cool! The option for redirect makes it even greater! Thanks! I didn't realise you can do an if statement in php, open a curly bracket, close the php tag, do html, then open php and close the curly bracket! Funky weird!

The elven village event sounds cool. Perhaps even if it's residents are rescued you could switch the quest to destroying two bandit tents instead, to stop the bandits building up forces - have it that they slowly build up forces, they capture and enslave all the elves again! That way everyone who plays has an effect on what state the world is, rather than just the first few players to play getting to change the world.

On playtesting, when I get a fight, I can use the back button and hit fight again and get a different monster. Is this intentional? Works well for me to get the right monster for my quest...otherwise the quest would take ages...

Also, I need a hot, public domain chick to put on the front of my game...
Last edited by Callan S. on Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fight Cycle : My latest Browser game WIP
Driftwurld : My Browser Game WIP
Philosopher Gamer : My Blog

Return to “Project Showoff Tier II”