Halls Map System

General Chat, Comments
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Halls Map System

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

So instead of building a game I decided to build some modules. The first major one I am building is a Map system. This map system will be a grid based point and click movement like Forsaken Sanctum 1.0 and Caveral Crawl was. version 0.1 will allow you to build maps with each having up to 40,000 locations per map. You can adjust how big you want the map for smaller areas. Each area will have options like harvesting, lumbering, ect.. but they may be separate modules.

I am currently building the admin section. Hope to have this up this week for testing. Figured I would post for those that have suggestions or requests.

You will be able to put a percent of each kind of landscape for your land and it will build the map based on those numbers. So if you want 50% grass and 50% trees it will build half the map with grass plains and half with lumber. More types will come later. It will basically be procedurally generated terrain.
KyleMassacre

Re: Halls Map System

Post by KyleMassacre »

This can be very interesting and I'm kind of excited to see it
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

So I finished the map builder other than tweaks. It procedurally generates the terrain to the settings you provide. Will build a map editor later. Players can travel the map by clicking on the grid. Below is a 9 grid system . I took out boundries so harder to see but it is like
and where you click is where you move. Still got some more work so will update when I am further along.

KyleMassacre

Post by KyleMassacre »

I think this would be great as like a scavenging system like the default one where you can find items, NPC combat, PVP combat, etc. the possibilities are endless
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

agreed. I am building it with each location having stats. A player can lumber, scavenge, hunt, harvest, ect.. but the more players do it on that location the worse it gets but gets better over time. Like trees and plants growing. Shown below is how it is broken up with a section with trees and a section for water. If players keep lumbering the trees will turn to grass and be sucky to attempt to lumber on

When you tie in a 200x200 map that is a TON (40,000 to be exact) of locations for players to walk around and search. We can also place the towns in these locations.
OldRod

Post by OldRod »

This is awesome! :)
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

I have a busy day today so might not get a ton done on it but I do expect version 0.1 to be released by this weekend.
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

That seems indeed a great concept! I love it!
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

As soon as I get the module exported version 0.1 will be online ready for testing. It will only be for play testing and as long it works well I will get the location stats working then deploy the modules for others.

I am also going to create tutorials on how I made it and this will be a free module of course

Current features include a Map builder and a system that allows as many locations in one zone as you want but I would stick to under 100k, more like 40k which is 200x200. Players can click to walk around the map and explore.

Future features are lumbing, harvesting, hunting, ect.. Player build towns on locations, player owned locations, and much more. Currently it is a 3x3 viewable grid but that will increased.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

it's up! Just go to travel to see it and click on the map in the direction you want to go. Remember this is early testing phase.

http://armageddonearth.com

Return to “General”