The directory cached_libs is not writable.

General Chat, Comments
Loki

The directory cached_libs is not writable.

Post by Loki »

I'm trying to host the DEMO version of the New Worlds Engine locally.

I've moved all the files into the root folder of my WAMP server, went to localhost/index.php and I am receiving the error;

The directory cached_libs is not writable. Installation cannot continue until cached_libs is writable.

I'm pretty sure the DEMO Zip folder is missing files.

Any help is much appreciated.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: The directory cached_libs is not writable.

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Have you checked to make sure that directory is writable and not set to read only?
Loki

Post by Loki »

Sorry, meant to reply/delete this.

I had to create a new file named 'cached_libs'.

If this guy wants to sell an engine, he may want to actually let people make an account and login as a player.

Can't tell how the game runs from the admin account.

Thank you for the reply nonetheless!
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

He has no intention to sell it anymore as he simply stopped caring about it. If I was you, I would move along and search for something else or yet better make your own one.

Another option for you would be to talk about your project, and let's see if we can find a way together.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Agreed a_betrand. While creating one from scratch is time consuming it also can be fun, an excellent learning experience, and less stressful. Yes less stressful. If you code it you know how to fix it. I find it very painful to dig through someone else's code, especially when they do things differently then I would do.
KaL

Post by KaL »

Well check out KWM pbbg. There still 90 license keys left for free. This engine is still being supported.
Please check out the website for the free license key:

https://newgamesdev-studio.com

Keep it mind: it’s still needs more modules.
Loki

Post by Loki »

Thank you guys for replying.

I've been trying to learn PHP & SQL for a long time. I've bought books and even online tutorials. My disconnect is when they thow out all these types of functions, and not quite good enough examples to give me a big picture idea on how to use them practically. Also, not showing how a website in general is layed out.

I've looked for simple test projects that I could walkthrough with no luck.

Ultimately, I want to make a turn based Viking themed browser game. People make settlements, build, gather resources, research, sacrifice resources to the gods for bonuses, send war bands out to attack other players. And so fourth...

The reason I've been looking into PBBG engines is because they seem to be more popular.

I have tried the 2moons engine, which I've turned into Viking Themed over the past months, but I don't know the code like a game operator should, and that bothers me.

Also, I do see YouTube videos of turned based MMOs, but fear learning them and finding out they are severially outdated.
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

There is multiple ways to approach the problem:

1) Start from the rules and the game. Ideally the game should be playable ON PAPER, which means, you set the rules and try to play with a few friends. That should settle the rules, settle a bit the balance, define a story (yes a game should contain a story), and show first that the game is fun. Once the rules are set, you should try to find an engine or try to code it from scratch. This road is the one which gives out the best results but is also the hardest as you usually end up with a very complex ruleset which is hard to implement.

2) Pick an engine (really any will do), try to dig into it, slowly modify some piece and see how you can from that engine go to something you would be happy with. This is maybe the easiest road but will most likely never end up with your game.

3) Start learning the basis of coding, SQL, HTML, CSS, art etc, and then slowly develop your game while learning all the different skillset involved. This is not the easiest road as you start from scratch, but it's the road which will give you the best technical knowledge. Usually you will never reach the game you have in your head as you don't fully have the picture of what you want and due to the time involved into making it.

4) Team up with others which already have the knowledge you are missing. That will work only if your own contribution is big enough, either in term of money (which mean you hire the others) or in term of efforts (like art, story and more). This road usually works only if you are a good team leader, and have enough resources to make it work.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer

Return to “General”