Any Tutorials Around?

General Chat, Comments
Vallar

Any Tutorials Around?

Post by Vallar »

Hello,

I installed the New Worlds Engine on XAMPP on my computer and tried to play around a little. Problem is, I couldn't find any help files or tutorials related to the engine. I have a very basic coding knowledge, but I was under the impression that I didn't essentially need it until I change major functionality.
I have been trying to edit things through the Admin Panel but I am not sure how to "create the game". For example how can I create a quest? Create a location? Create an item? Are they done through code? Is there a guide somewhere that can give the basics of how to do that?
Am I missing something?
Another issue is that the version I downloaded from the main website was 1.1.7 but it says there is a 1.1.9. When I hit download on the website it is the 1.1.7 and there is no update method (as far as I can tell) from the engine itself, correct?

Sorry if the answers are obvious. I just thought this would be similar to Construct 2 or Game Maker engines, something a non-coder can get familiar with or perhaps a tutorial would be available somewhere.

Thank you in advance.
gmoore

Re: Any Tutorials Around?

Post by gmoore »

1.1.7 upgrades to 1.1.8 (which is before we took over). 1.1.9 points to our new server at nwe.funmayhem.com for updates. You should start with a fresh copy of 1.1.9 since we did not do an upgrade package.

Greg
Running a game is like riding a bike ... well it should be!

New Worlds Engine / FunMayhem.com
Helping you get your game concept up and running. Now.
Vallar

Post by Vallar »

Oh, I see now. Alright, I'll start fresh with 1.1.9 as you mentioned. I didn't know that there were two versions floating. Any chance there is a tutorial or some kind of guide or documentation?
KyleMassacre

Post by KyleMassacre »

Well you dont need a whole lot of programming experience if you are just looking to start up a game or fiddle around with the functionality of the engine. Mostly everything you need to edit is in the admin panel on the right hand side. You will see a menu with some Admin Quick Links, Configuration Keys, and majority of the Tables inside the database.

From that area you can manage like 90% of your game. If you wish to create crimes, just look to the right in the tables and find the link that says crimes. From there you can edit, delete, or add new crimes
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Its not much and may not help but I did do one video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYVC6cyKCCM
Vallar

Post by Vallar »

Thanks a lot Halls of Vallhalla. That is actually a very interesting video and I wished that you had made a few more like you mentioned in the video. It was useful.

Thanks a lot Kyle, I have been trying to mess with these things as much as I can. But I am not all to sure if I am breaking or am actually doing something that changes things :P.
KyleMassacre

Post by KyleMassacre »

Trust me, you will know if you break it haha

Return to “General”