Forums

General Chat, Comments
gmoore

Forums

Post by gmoore »

I thank the powers that be to let us share this space on the web. I mean seriously, thank you!!

Do we need our own forums?

Community support vs Developer support is the only way we can make things work in the long term. How do we perceive Community vs Developer vs Paid support?

Just asking. I'm like that!
Greg
Running a game is like riding a bike ... well it should be!

New Worlds Engine / FunMayhem.com
Helping you get your game concept up and running. Now.
KyleMassacre

Re: Forums

Post by KyleMassacre »

I think this forum is just fine. All of those can be handled here I believe. As long as people are not posting full source of paid modules I think support can be handled here. Whether is here or a NWE forum you host its all the same
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

You are welcome to stay here as long as you want. We are not going anywhere soon. I also understand if you want to move it onto your own site though.
gmoore

Post by gmoore »

One of the people mentioned at the software development class that forums that are run by the user base as good but can show 'unprofessionalism'. My wife jumped on that and wanted me to respond. I said for the most part, that is where the users are and that's what makes the most sense. I suspect at some point, we will have a forum that comes with the support of the engine and/or bug reports. This could/would be for the community to respond. Maybe a faster alternative.

Again, I never want to be the 'slow' part of things. But with the work load I am doing with the engine, that could be more and more the case.
Greg

KyleMassacre

Post by KyleMassacre »

For the unprofessionalism, that can happen anywhere. Lucky for us here we have a pretty great forum moderation team and I have yet to see any unprofessional remarks. And the way I see it is that why use your own resources when there are people (like halls) who are more than willing to give you some of his :p. I'm not saying that you don't have the resources to run a forum on your end so don't take it that way lol.

Another thing is that you are doing some updates to the XML schema so I think a support element would be beneficial, this way if we as in the module developers like a particular place to hang out like on IR we can provide a thread URL in there along with some contact info for more of a one-on-one approach
gmoore

Post by gmoore »

1.2.0: Schema will include more about the author, website, terms and copyright.
1.2.1: Schema (probably) will have dependencies.

Sim

Post by Sim »

gmoore wrote:One of the people mentioned at the software development class that forums that are run by the user base as good but can show 'unprofessionalism'.
Greg

You need to fire your CEO for believing what "one person" said in a software development class. It probably wasn't even the instructor and EVEN if it was, its a software development class, not a business class. What works for one business does not always work for another business anyway. =)
oRPG Creator - Make Your Own Browser Game
oRPG Creator on Facebook
Chromeozone

Post by Chromeozone »

Sim wrote:
gmoore wrote:One of the people mentioned at the software development class that forums that are run by the user base as good but can show 'unprofessionalism'.
Greg

You need to fire your CEO for believing what "one person" said in a software development class. It probably wasn't even the instructor and EVEN if it was, its a software development class, not a business class. What works for one business does not always work for another business anyway. =)
The CEO is his wife...
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Just my two cents but for now the forums are taking care of and I would put your time and resources into the engine. That after all is what people are buying and will be the biggest factor in the future of the engine. Starting over on a forums could actually hurt you more than help. What looks more inviting a forum built around an active community with loads of resources and information or a forum with minimal posts?
I would get the engine seen again as well as make sure it is in the working order you want then the as it grows so will the user base and new forums will be warranted.
KyleMassacre

Post by KyleMassacre »

I agree with Halls. People can actually learn from other areas of this forum as well that can help them with what they are currently doing.

Return to “General”