Free NES-style Breakout graphics I created

Models, Sprites, Concept, ect...
Jackolantern

Free NES-style Breakout graphics I created

Post by Jackolantern »

A couple of weeks back I created some graphics for an 8-bit style Breakout-clone using the NES palette. However, I have scrapped it, but didn't want the graphics to go to waste (I spent quite a while on them lol). If anyone is learning Impact or any other traditional game engine, Breakout is a great step-up after making Pong. All these graphics are original, minus a couple of modified images (however, the only images that appear modified are public domain since they are from NASA). The graphics were created in Flash (for vector art, since I don't understand Illustrator lol) and Photoshop, and all the graphic files used to create them are included in a folder if you want to tinker with them further. You can find the NES palette and how to apply it in Photoshop on this page and the very simple technique to pixelate them on this page if you want to create more NES-style graphics to go with it. (The only graphic in here not owned by me and not in the public domain is the snail picture, which I only used to trace my snail graphic. The snail image is copyright to its original owner).

Here is a mock-up of the game with the graphics included:

The font used in the UI is Press Start 2P.

Here is a link to download the graphics.

(You are free to use these graphics in any way you wish, commercial or not, and are not required any attribution to me. The only file that this statement does not include is the snail image, which is only included as a reference and must not be used directly in any way).
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: Free NES-style Breakout graphics I created

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Ah this is very kewl.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Haha, thanks! The only thing I couldn't figure out was how to limit the total colors like on the NES. I think the NES could display something like 25 colors at once, and I am pretty sure I am over that. The system has a total of I believe 256 colors, and all colors are constrained to that palette, but I think I have too many colors on-screen at once lol.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

I would LOVE if someone created a game system that costs like $25 and was equivilant to the SNES or NES and allowed anyone to make games on it and of course was highly popular. Old style gaming again.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Honestly, I have been kind of thinking of something like that. However, what I was doing some experiments to find out is if Javascript could be used to make a virtual machine of sorts. My idea was a bit different though, and consisted of creating a webpage with an image of a mid-80's computer (with brand removed of course) and make the canvas be the actual display. And actually create a simple mid-80's style OS emulator that uses HTML5 local storage as a hard drive, a source-to-source compiler to create a retro BASIC programming language, and a way to socially share programs written for it. Basically it would be an in-browser retro computer.

Obviously it would be a huge amount of work, and I am not able to take it on right now, but I think it would be cool 8-)
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

OMG I love that idea. If you get the notion to start let me know. I am in! I could pull a artist or two in as well.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Awesome! However, I actually don't know how much I would need an artist. I was thinking the emulated OS would simply be text-based, true to form with mid-80's computers. The BASIC programs could be typed right into the command line, saved into very simple text-files with a retro text editor.

What I may need, if and/or when I decide to do this may be some programming help. Source-to-source compilers are no joke, and to be able to make something competent and expressive while confining the wider abilities of Javascript to the abilities of a 80's desktop could be difficult. If I was going to do it, I would really want it to feel like a whole computer.

I would probably also need help on the graphics API. It would center around just making blocks of 8-bit color and arranging those, so I don't think heavy art assets would be needed, but it may be hard to make it flexible.

Thanks for the interest! :)
Sharlenwar

Post by Sharlenwar »

Well, I would be interested as an investor in the project. I would definitely look at buying a signed unit from you as well with a flashy, sleek, design. :P
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
***NEW***GrindFest - My own PHP/MySQL game!
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

You mean Halls' idea of making an actual retro console, correct? :D Because my idea shall be making no flashy, shiny units :lol:
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

I would love to get the NES emulator working through the web. Place where people could load the virtual cartridge or even earn them then play the old games. Quick load and play.

Return to “Art Showoff”