my new base model

Models, Sprites, Concept, ect...
Torniquet

my new base model

Post by Torniquet »

Yes thats right, I am modelling again!

After seeing a work mates girlfriend and old school friends drawings, it inspired me!

currently sitting around 1.3k polys, Here she is!
chibi1.PNG
chibi2.PNG
I have also got her walking about in Unity, and due to the lack of hands and feet, it makes her quite easy to animate :) (although my animations need some work XD lol)

I do have one question though, how many polys is the 'limit' before it moves out of the low poly bracket? I have read that the average low poly is about 5000. does that sound appropriate?
New Site Coming Soon! Stay tuned :D
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: my new base model

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Very nice!

The poly count all depends on what you are doing with it. Multiplayer, client based, web based, ect..
Torniquet

Post by Torniquet »

probably single player web based to start with. Depends where it goes from there on out lol
Last Known Hero

Post by Last Known Hero »

Nice to see you modelling again!! I like it a lot :)

The poly count is usually just a generic reference, do you know the triangle count? Triangles is how an engine renders them so it's the number that counts.

Low poly is anything up to 8k nowadays. 8K-15K is medium count, and anything 15K-1.2Mill is high poly, and anything more starts to be defined as high definition sculpting. MMO's run about a max of 3K. These are all triangle counts too.
Power3DArt

-Current Project: Fault [Pre-Alpha]
Torniquet

Post by Torniquet »

The body (not the hair as thats seperate) has 816 faces according to blender. I think most if not all of them are quads it would make it 1632 tris yes? give or take.

The reason I ask is thus. I have a real hard time when it comes to applying clothes when made as separate objects and it comes to animation. I always find the trousers especially deform in quite a retarded fashion. Either the skin of the ass will stick out and the trousers will come way down their backside, or the complete opposite in that they just don't move enough and skin comes through the leg area :evil:

So to combat this, I want to make the clothes part of the human object to try and counter this major nerve grinder. Anyone have any tips on getting round that? lol.
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

Coming along nicely...and awesome its walking in Unity

Last Known Hero

Torniquet wrote:The body (not the hair as thats seperate) has 816 faces according to blender. I think most if not all of them are quads it would make it 1632 tris yes? give or take.
Yes that would be a maximum of 1632 tris, which is very good.
Torniquet wrote:The reason I ask is thus. I have a real hard time when it comes to applying clothes when made as separate objects and it comes to animation. I always find the trousers especially deform in quite a retarded fashion. Either the skin of the booty will stick out and the trousers will come way down their backside, or the complete opposite in that they just don't move enough and skin comes through the leg area :evil:

So to combat this, I want to make the clothes part of the human object to try and counter this major nerve grinder. Anyone have any tips on getting round that? lol.
As far as animation/rigging go I only know a bit, mostly theory. When creating a mesh that fits over top of an existing rig you must redefine the skinning weights of the mesh to the rig. So you have to tell the clothing which vertices move with which bone.

PS. Your ahead of me, I still can't get animated/rigged models to do what I want in unity :P
Power3DArt

Torniquet

Post by Torniquet »

for those who want to see my oh so awesome animation skills... http://www.mediafire.com/?rs139lvypsby6nt

For some reason my web server is playing up lol and wont show new directories, and with the way my files are set up its being a nightmare to work around lol, so its a download to an exe. WASD to move, although the backwalk is the same as the front so looks like the moonwalk lol.

Anywho! I have just found a semi decent way i may be able to animate clothing using another object and using deformation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BucNKZuO6z8

So I am going to give that a whirl.

I too had issues trying to get animations behave within unity. I started by making individual animations for each action, which was being a pain in the ass on blender as they lasted longer than they were supposed to. Therefore in unity, I would have a walk animation followed by a long pause before it ran again. So I switched to frame by frame animation I think is what its called, where you animate on the main timeline all of your actions and then define the frames to play within unity.

Not sure how well it will work in the long run, but can only wait and see!

I might start up a little progress blog as I work through this. incase anyone wanted to follow along :p

I am also using Burgzurg Arcades epic long tutorial series when it comes to unity as I have no knowledge of it what so ever lol.

EDIT ~~

Ok for the lolz I decided to make a dress, it didnt turn out to well animation wise :( lol ahh well back to the drawing board XD will work on it tomoz
Last Known Hero

You might not have to animate too much for cloth, Unity has a built in cloth simulator . I'll be using this feature in my project

http://unity3d.com/support/documentatio ... Cloth.html
Power3DArt

Torniquet

Post by Torniquet »

I finally got round to it and got it looking (half) decent!

http://taptin.dev.2dservers.net/unity.html

no more naked lasseh :D

Just need to make some clothes that will fit the game and full set of actions XD

Wish me luck x

Return to “Art Showoff”