Help with head modeling?

Models, Sprites, Concept, ect...
Shihonoryu

Help with head modeling?

Post by Shihonoryu »

Hi guys, ive been trying to get into character modeling, but i cant seem to get a proper looking head with sculpting, or box modeling, or plane modeling.

every time it just keeps looking alienish and i rage quit.

should i read some anatomy books? or something? or just study ref pictures really closely?
Jackolantern

Re: Help with head modeling?

Post by Jackolantern »

While I am not a modeller, I have heard this same problem many times on game making forums, and pretty much know the standard response. Typically, they suggest to look at some anatomy drawing books if possible. The human head is a very hard thing to model realistically due to the way our minds work. Look up the "uncanny valley" effect. The best thing to do is use some drawing books and any modelling tutorials to study the shapes and proportions, and I believe most modelling tools have symmetry tools to help keep the left and right in sync. Beyond that (and whatever any real modellers here can advise), just keep practicing!
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Last Known Hero

Re: Help with head modeling?

Post by Last Known Hero »

This is a VERY common problem. I can still have trouble with this. The best thing you can do is practice. Here is an example of how the topology should flow to make the face seem natural.
http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php ... 1217138463

From the start point you should be taking a look at some reference material (front and side shots). Eyes are by far the hardest thing to do. If you post a front shot and side shot of the head I can do a paint over to show you what you might be missing, and don't be embarrassed to post 'bad' work, its all learning!! Hell my freelance one started like a total alien, it takes work to get em nice :)

Honestly make a great base head model and keep it, don't detail too much. That way you can use it again and again. I do freelance and I have a good start on a library of base models to get started on projects fast.
Power3DArt

-Current Project: Fault [Pre-Alpha]

Return to “Art Showoff”