SpiritWebb

Re: MMO Enemies

Post by SpiritWebb »

Very nice work!!! :)

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

if i get to shoot that guy with that gun I will be eliminating his smile for you :)
Last Known Hero

Post by Last Known Hero »

Thanks guys, put alot of work into it! I have a question for you now, for my game (mmo) should I use more realistic character models, or should i go a little anime themed? Leme know what you think, I want to get started on players now
Power3DArt

-Current Project: Fault [Pre-Alpha]
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Last Known Hero wrote:Thanks guys, put alot of work into it! I have a question for you now, for my game (mmo) should I use more realistic character models, or should i go a little anime themed? Leme know what you think, I want to get started on players now
I personally feel that anime themed MMOs are really over-done. I would estimate that almost half of the F2P MMO choices out there are anime-style. I would definitely stick with realistic. Also (and I have not hard data to back this up), I would wonder if an anime style game may be relegating itself to an audience with lower expendable income levels. While realistic games tend to attract all age groups, anime-style games seem to mostly appeal to a younger crowd.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Last Known Hero

I have decided not to goanime, but not fully realistic, its hard enough to try and get coding done with models too, and making the textures takes as long if not longer to get realistic compaired tomaking the models, so I have decided to go semi-realism with cell shading. The semi realism comes from having moderately detailed textures but with a toon shader. It will save alot of space and save alot of time right now..

Here is a new screenie of it, not a permanent game character but until I get a better one that will do, needs to be rigged though.

Power3DArt

SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

Nice!

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Nice looking :) And yeah, I use "realistic" very loosely in this conversation (mostly because that was the other term used); really, I just mean "not anime styled". For example, WoW is nowhere near realistic, but it is not anime styled either.
Last Known Hero

Yeah I know what you mean Jacko, I wasn;t going full realism but not full anime. This I think is a happy median where (hopefully) everyone can enjoy. I feel like I have made alot of progress in this 'game' even though I know I haven't got much to show, I feel that all of my ideas will be possible and hopefully beautiful enough that I can make Indie-Res proud. Will have more screenies soon!
Power3DArt

Last Known Hero

Double Posting! Here is the new character I have forthe game, created him using reference pictures on some random website then modified them to look more cartoony, and to have no clothing (so it looks nothing like the reference images!) The FPS counter at the top is running under these conditions:

7 - 2k previous character models
1 - 1500 poly tree
1 - 1100 poly NEW character model
1 - 1k poly dock
1 - 750 poly cactus
1 - 1k poly gun

so thats about 19 500 polys so far and its running strong on 1280 x 1024 on fantastic setting. I know that the 380 fps will go down dramatically eventually but hey it's nice for now :P. I expect that the character model will go up to 1200 - 1250 polys since I have a freelance artist rigging it for me and that will require some surface cutting. He is also making the texture. He wanted to charge me $300 for the model alone so I did it myself haha! Anyways, here it is. Old characters are on the right, new one is on the left.

Power3DArt

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Nice stuff! :)

Return to “Art Showoff”