Tips to host at AWS (Amazon Web Services)

All things HTML5 or text based engines, or really any web based engines.
lucbr

Tips to host at AWS (Amazon Web Services)

Post by lucbr »

Hi there!

I really don't know so much about the AWS products, so, I need your help to pick the best solution to host a IGE game server and a Node.js web server. Then, I need to have the power to start the IGE game server and start a regular Node.js web server. Please, let me know if you know more than one good solution for IGE game hosting.

Gee, the Amazon has a lot of solutions on the cloud and I don't know what to pick!

Thanks!
robaldred

Re: Tips to host at AWS (Amazon Web Services)

Post by robaldred »

It has a lot of services yes, but only one is suitable for hosting a game server, that's their EC2 instances backed by EBS.
I used to use it a lot, I was spending >$400 a month at one point for a number of EBS' and 3 instances running 24/7.
It's not very cost effective for small installations.

If you're just experimenting, I would recommend a small vps from someone like WizzVPS.
foolmoron

Post by foolmoron »

The advantage of AWS is being able to scale your server backend to match demand, but like robaldred said, it's more expensive and complicated to use than just a regular server, if you really don't need the cloud power.
signature
coolbloke1324

Post by coolbloke1324 »

I got so bored having to get a PHD everytime Amazon created a new service and named it something incomprehensible. I use Rackspace Cloud for all my hosting (including IGE game hosting) and it is very simple to set up and can scale up to a bigger server with two clicks. Also quite cheap compared to other big providers. Rackspace have been in cloud for a long time and I've always found them very reliable.
CEO & Lead Developer
Irrelon Software Limited
http://www.isogenicengine.com
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Amazon can be a real pain, i use http://www.interserver.net/vps/home.php

$12 for a 2 slice isnt bad and will definitely run a nodejs server
Ark

Post by Ark »

For a small VPS you can use digitalocean, $5/mo with 512mb ram it's the best I've found.
Orgullo Catracho
lucbr

Post by lucbr »

Hey, why can Amazon be a real pain? Could you explain more? Or even suggest some article talking about it.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

I mean a pain to get setup. It took me several hours to get node working right on it when it took me less than 30 minutes to get node working on my vps.
lucbr

Post by lucbr »

I have done the deployment to the Amazon http://54.207.9.240/ (This address will be available for just a few days)

Thank you, guys!!!
lucbr

Post by lucbr »

One thing I don't understand is that I started the IGE game server yesterday in my Ubuntu Server on AWS and at the morning the IGE game server was down. However, just the Node.js Http Server was running properly.

I am using Putty from my Windows 8 to access the terminal on the Ubuntu Server. So, when I am in it, I use the command "screen". Then, I run the IGE game server. After that, I can close the Putty without terminating the Ige Game Server.

I cannot run the IGE server directly on the Putty's Terminal because when I close the Putty, the IGE server is closed too.

Question 1

What's the best way to start the IGE game server?

Question 2

What could have been the cause to get the IGE game server down?

I just would like to know one way to avoid the IGE Game server going down. Imagine if it were my real website in production...

Thanks a lot!

Return to “HTML5/Web Engines”