torque 3d - anyone used it?

The place to ask questions about 3DStudio Max, Blender, Pro Motion, open source items, libraries, ect..
gedq

torque 3d - anyone used it?

Post by gedq »

just curious, has anyone used it? Any good?
a_bertrand

Re: torque 3d - anyone used it?

Post by a_bertrand »

I would say it doesn't make any sense to use it compared to Unity 3D
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
Cayle

Post by Cayle »

Long and Short:

Good:
Torque has tight, fast networking. If you want to build a shooter that works smoothly on not so fast internet connections, Torque is your engine.

Bad:
The art pipeline is painful t work with.
The techniques used for handling ghosting, which make it so efficient from a networking perspective, also make the engine a pain to work with.
Scripting is subpar in comparison to Unity. You have to do a LOT in c++ with Torque.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Yep, a few members here have a long history with Torque. The previous version of Torque before 3D, TGE, had one of the first MMORPG creation kits for it, so the forum admin, Halls, spent a lot of time working with it, and I believe Cayle did, too.

However, Torque's time really has passed. It used to be the go-to indie 3D engine, but it simply hasn't kept up with the times. Unity and Unreal are 100x the engine. I think they are struggling to get users to check out Torque even being open source.

But of course, since it is MIT licensed now, you aren't risking anything by just checking it out. I just wouldn't start investing heavily in development with it.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

I would not recommend it. The owners and employees of Torque ruined it, Fighting, bickering, all for profit and the community basically sucks now. As jack mentioned, art pipeline is an absolute pain to work with and even worse the idea of doing the simplest things to build simple things taking 400 lines of code is over. However to make a gun in Torque is tons of lines of code that is never explained properly.
Cayle

Post by Cayle »

The real difference between Torque and Unity is this:
  • Torque was an in-house game engine built for a very specific game (a multiplayer shooter, called Tribes) and though there were efforts to tame it over the years, it's in-house background always showed through.
  • Unity was designed from the start to be an engine for Indy game development in general.
Unless you are building a simple, multiplayer shooter for players on slow internet connections, Torque is mainly of historical interest now.
OldRod

Post by OldRod »

I'll echo what others have said - use Unity3D and skip Torque. I was a long time Torque user, and it was absolutely painful to work with at times.

Unity3D has a "personal edition" now that is the full engine and can be used for games making up to $100,000 per year. The only difference between the Personal Edition and the Pro Edition are some analytic tools and access to their Cloud Build system, nothing substantive.

The old days of the free version of Unity being crippled are gone.

Couple this with the Free version of Visual Studio, and some debugging tools for use with VS/Unity... then throw in GiMP and Blender... you got a hell of a programming suite for free.

Return to “Programs/Assets/Libs/Open Source/Ect...”