Modo 801 is out!

The place to ask questions about 3DStudio Max, Blender, Pro Motion, open source items, libraries, ect..
a_bertrand

Modo 801 is out!

Post by a_bertrand »

Modo 801 has just been released and offers a few nice goodies!

A couple of self made tests:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLEzrrZ ... e=youtu.be
bubble.JPG
Notable new features:
Powerful node based texturing
Enhanced dynamics for large scene
Improved scattering tools for scene layout and environment creation
New baking and modeling tools specific for games artists
Updates to the animation framework
OpencolorIO integration

Source:
http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/mo ... rce=Eloqua

And yes, I already upgraded my license. It's just amazing ;)
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
Jackolantern

Re: Modo 801 is out!

Post by Jackolantern »

I honestly have to say I had never heard of Modo until you first mentioned it. However, I am not a modeler :P
The indelible lord of tl;dr
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

That's because most people know only a very few of the tools, even the BIG names out there are totally ignored. An example? Who knows "Houdini" from Side Effects? I would guess nobody beside me here ever heard it... and guess what it is THE used in big movies to create explosions, smokes or many other special effects.

Softimage? Maybe a bit more people knows it, yet (beside it's now dead), it's still a mostly unknown product.

There is a lot more beside 3D Max (which is really bad), Cinema 4D, Maya (which is good mostly due to it's scripting) or Blender (which is known because it's open source).

3D softwares are like the IDE of the 3D artist. Some offers nearly the same toolset while others offers a lot more for less money. Modo is pretty cheap if you compares what it can do and how much the others ask for. It is also one of the most flexible tool I ever used. You can completely re-organize the GUI, redo all the buttons and menu, code it in Python, or call the engine from the command line. Yet it's not a "toy". It's usually not used by kids due to the price and the fact you will more hardly find a pirated version that 3D Max ;)
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

I know Houdini very well. Back when I was working on a 3d MMOPRPG I tried nearly everything.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

It's indeed a great software.... but by far not the easiest to use. Yet for special effects and simulations maybe one of the most powerful. For modeling, maybe not so much.

Return to “Programs/Assets/Libs/Open Source/Ect...”