2D Tile editor.

The place to ask questions about 3DStudio Max, Blender, Pro Motion, open source items, libraries, ect..
robaldred

2D Tile editor.

Post by robaldred »

I'm, currently using Tiled to build 2d maps. I'm not having fun with it. It's not really much good for placing scenery objects that are larger than a tile, like trees buildings, if they're not split into tiles of the same size, it just completely breaks the co-ordinates which are not configurable (eg. registration point)

Is there anything else people use? It'd be nice if similar programs have similar export options eg. JSON.

Thanks for any suggestions.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: 2D Tile editor.

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

I am not a fan at all of Tiled. I usually write my own but I think Jack wrote one as well.
Mardonis

Post by Mardonis »

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

yep! But it might not work.

Don't think he got enough kudos on that one.

If you are using a simple array based map system you can just build a pretty quick one and it still be quite a dynamic map. Also if you have Impactjs, its levle maker is nice.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Oh wow, someone remembers that haha! Before anyone looks into it, it is not a general purpose tile engine for producing tile maps that are typically consumed by 2D game engines. I built it specifically for a game I was working on at the time that got scrapped. It is a system to build 2D maps with free-form prop placement (so it technically isn't tile based at all) that are stored directly to a database. It was also my first big-ish PHP project, and way earlier on in my Javascript/jQuery days, so I am sure I would cringe to see it today :P
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Mardonis

Post by Mardonis »

I think I have it partially working. Do you have a old picture of what it was supposed to look like when it was working?
robaldred

Post by robaldred »

Thanks guys, I'll keep looking :)
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

This is what I made for NEaB.... long long time ago:
http://www.nowhere-else.org/demo_mapeditor.php

It is fully a grid (top view), but has multiple layers (2 you can edit). What's good in this editor is the automations which makes the transitions between one set of tiles to another, draw roads, hills, or generate mazes for you.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Mardonis wrote:I think I have it partially working. Do you have a old picture of what it was supposed to look like when it was working?
I appreciate the attention to my old project, but I don't suggest using it. For one, I never hit 1.0, because I did not create a "Load" option to add a map back in for further editing once it was saved. So you can keep it in the browser and keep saving over the old iteration (I think lol; this was a long time ago), but if you close the tab, you can't edit it further unless you go in and manually edit in the database (not pretty). It was also for a very specific type of web game setup that I would not recommend today.

Maybe try out bertrand's editor and see how that looks. :cool:
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

that is an awesome editor a_bertrand. Neab has always looked like a really great engine. If I ever round up the money I might grab it and toy around.

Return to “Programs/Assets/Libs/Open Source/Ect...”